Skip to content

New rules 18/19

New arrangements agreed today:

Permanent transfer window closes earlier on 9th Aug rather than 31st - season starts 5th - seems sensible

Loan window still closes on 31st - sensible again

Full strength rules tightened such that at least 10 outfield players starting or on bench must have started on on bench last game - ineffective.

Artificial pitches - if either Sutton or Bromley got promotion, they would be forced to revert their pitch to grass. If not 23rd place club stays up . (Rules had been that they would be relegated to conference south raising faintly amusing prospect of playoff final between the two with winner relegated, loser staying up - rule now changed.)

Comments

• full strength rule counts this season and will stop too much rotation.

• Not sure about the full strength rule. Why can't managers just pick the players they want from their squad without being dictated to? Surely that's up to them? Will probably further limit first team opportunities for developing young players too.

• edited February 2018

Do we know if Wycombe voted for or against these new regulations?

• I assume the full,strength rules relate to the efl cup?

• Nope - they are intended to stop teams making wholesale changes in dead games towards the end of the season.

• @Chris said:
    Nope - they are intended to stop teams making wholesale changes in dead games towards the end of the season.

Which makes very good sense.

• @micra said:
    Which makes very good sense.

Does it though?

Surely players that have contracts that are about to expire will want to perform to a high standard as opposed to those midway through a long term contract and might be in cruise control.

These ‘dead game’ performances are dictated to by mindset as opposed to individual talent.

• Full strength rules brought in in response to Huddersfield throwing a match just before their playoff which was vital to the opposition in their playoff match.

But looks pretty ineffectual. You can rest the entire outfield starters from the previous match, play the five of the six outfield subs from the previous game plus bring in five who didnt even make the bench and fill the bench with last match starters. Hardly a full strength team or anything like it.

• Never understood these under strength team rules. Can't see how they can be enforced and can't see why a manager can't pick the team he wants. Most offences seem to result in fines in any case so the club can decide if it's worthwhile based on that.

• The full strength rule is well intentioned but ridiculous.

I worry the shorted transfer window will actually be harmful to lower league clubs. It means there is an even shorter window in which cash-strapped clubs can negotiate and hold out for better offers, meaning the bigger teams can bully the likes of us.

• Am I right in assuming that the team sheet includes the subs? Otherwise the team can't be changed. I assume there is an unwritten caveat regarding injured players.