Skip to content

Wycombe hard to bear

I enjoy Nicholas Tunney’s welcome embracing of all things Wycombe Wanderers in the Bucks Free Press and also his contribution to matchday commentaries (apart from the grunts and groans when a pass is misplaced or a chance missed!).
On a tiny point of detail, he described Swindon in yesterday’s BFP as having one of the best away records in the division (they were number one in that respect) but what tickled me was an unfortunate “typo” in the very last sentence in his Comment column - namely, “if Wycombe continue to produce performances like this they will be hard to bear.” Well it can be pretty nail biting.

Comments

• Anyone know why comments are closed for any Wycombe stories in The BFP? Seemed to happen not long after Wasps buggered off.

• Could you elaborate on that @robin ?

• Every story on Wycombe at the bottom it says "Comments are closed" I just wondered why? I e-mailed The BFP but they didn't reply.

• They're still mourning the loss of Wasps

• Are you referring to the online version of the BFP perhaps @robin ?

• Talking of online I’m only looking at the Gasroom because commentary on iFollow keeps cutting out and I wondered if anyone else is having trouble. - on Apple iPhone.

• @micra said:
    Are you referring to the online version of the BFP perhaps robin ?

Yep but we used to be allowed to post comments, I'm in Somerset so it's the only way i have of reading it.

• Gotcha! I only see the hard copy.

• I constantly used the comment section just after wasps left to berate the paper for their wasp heavy - wanderers light coverage, so maybe I am to blame :s I did receive a personal email from the sports editor asking why I was so against their wasps coverage as if it needed asking

• Yeah i kept posting complaints that they were still covering the pests after they'd gone so maybe it's my own fault when i think about it.

• I gave them a lot of stick especially after the infamous ‘are they still Wycombes Wanderers” headline so it looks like someone was reading our comments

• I’m still reeling from their headline of - ‘All I could here was shoot!’ After a Harriman wonder strike. With basic English like that hard to grasp it’s no wonder the BFP stopped allowing comments in the sports section

• @fedup1980 Was that Alan Feldburg (think I've spelled that right) by any chance? He seemed to revel in running disparaging stories about WW. I believe @DJWYC14 once took him to task over it. There were unconfirmed reports he was in fact a franchise customer.

• I can’t remember but his argument for covering wasps in Coventry was flaky at best, I always have the impression that the BFP is full of wannabe Dail Mail and Sun journalists chomping at the bit to do the big exclusives

• Feldburg did seem to fancy himself as a bit of sporting Richard Littlejohn with his opinion pieces that seemed to be written purely to rile Wycombe fans.

Andy Carswell dragged the BFP backpages out of the gutter and the new guy Nick Tunney seems pretty good as well.

• The coverage these days is much better.

It was a dark day when the Wasps stuff was given precedence, in a paper probably most of their crowd didn't know existed.

• If a bear leaves his house, walks two miles south, has breakfast, walks two miles east, has a rest, walks two miles north and goes back into his same house....what colour is the bear?

• Check out the big brain on @Pete

• A 1991 FA Trophy final t shirt on its way

• Of course - ice floes. Ice flows too. In this case, in a westerly direction. The house (really?) is on a glacier adjoining the floe. Yes, I think that’s right.

• LX1LX1
    edited February 2018

It's simpler than that. The World is round

• @LX1 said:

And has latitude and longitude. Perhaps it’s me that’s simple but your explanation makes no sense (to me at least).

• @LX1 said:

No it's not. It's an oblate spheroid.

• Keep thinking, @micra, it does work, you'll kick yourself when the penny drops..and don't let @mooneyman confuse you, the fact it's an oblate spheroid doesn't affect the logic of the question and the answer...

• @micra Clue: The bear could only possibly do what he did if his house was in one very specific location.

• @micra think about how the bear might possibly know his north from his south.

• Ah, but the bear could have eaten breakfast on a boat, opening it up to everywhere else outside of the North pole. This needs to be investigated further...

• He could also have his fur dyed into blue quarters if he gets iFollow at the North Pole...

• A house at the North Pole is preposterous.