Skip to content

Match day thread: Swindon

2»

Comments

• Also collected my beano shirt tonight. The way we were still attacking I felt we could nick it, in the same way I thought we would get an equaliser against Carlisle. I still think some of the 'game management' works against us. A one goal lead is rarely enough! @ValleyWanderer as it sounds like beano had to be persuaded not to pack it in and sign this year I doubt he's playing for a contract!

• Good point @Wendoverman, I bet he's glad he didn't then.

• Did well to hang in there after ht when Swindon were mostly on top, but clawed our way back in and finished the match strongly. Pleased for Bayo to get the winner, he was starting to look a bit frustrated. Feeling good about the run-in, especially as we've suddenly worked out how to win points from direct rivals

• Here is the round up. Ballroom Bill got very excited, as did I. Also includes interviews with Gaz and the Beast:

https://philcatchpole.com/2018/02/14/wycombe-wanderers-3-2-swindon-town/

• Its great to be a Wycombe fans just now. We are playing some of the best football for a very long time and everyone in the squad seems to have such a great attitude.
    Any number of players just seem to be getting better week by week. O9, Gape and Bean all caught my attention with their tacking, passing and running tonight. El-Abd is now, I think, showing the kind of form that Ainsworth must have been expecting when he first signed.
    Browny is making some excellent saves and is proving himself to be a good keeper.
    But the players who most excite are the forwards. Whoever gets the start alongside Bayo puts in a shift and then you just know there's someone just as good to come off the bench for the last 15minutes.
    Tonight it was CMS and PCH who got the start and combined to score the second. CMS also had a number of chances saved/charged down. Then on 75minutes we can bring on Tyson. The look of disappointment on his face when the last minute chance rolled the wrong side of the post spoke volumes. We has just won 3-2 scoring the winner in the 89th minute yet he was gutted to have missed his chance.
    For me that moment sums up the whole squads attitude. These guys want to win, they think they can win, they play to win - and they keep going right to the end. With spirit like that surely this is going to be our year?

• Can't wait for the Opposition view, I felt that Swindon were a class act and we were all present at a good match. I had no problems with the Ref, he had to acknowledge his lino flagging the 'foul' for the disallowed goal and he let the game flow. VAR would have spoilt this one I feel.....;-)

• @Twizz said:
    Its great to be a Wycombe fans just now. We are playing some of the best football for a very long time and everyone in the squad seems to have such a great attitude.
    Any number of players just seem to be getting better week by week. O9, Gape and Bean all caught my attention with their tacking, passing and running tonight. El-Abd is now, I think, showing the kind of form that Ainsworth must have been expecting when he first signed.
    Browny is making some excellent saves and is proving himself to be a good keeper.
    But the players who most excite are the forwards. Whoever gets the start alongside Bayo puts in a shift and then you just know there's someone just as good to come off the bench for the last 15minutes.
    Tonight it was CMS and PCH who got the start and combined to score the second. CMS also had a number of chances saved/charged down. Then on 75minutes we can bring on Tyson. The look of disappointment on his face when the last minute chance rolled the wrong side of the post spoke volumes. We has just won 3-2 scoring the winner in the 89th minute yet he was gutted to have missed his chance.
    For me that moment sums up the whole squads attitude. These guys want to win, they think they can win, they play to win - and they keep going right to the end. With spirit like that surely this is going to be our year?

• Excellent post that sums up what we’ve got going for us right now.

• Another great attacking performance. I really feel once a fully fit Stewart slots into the side again that we can shore up at the back, keep banging them in up front and run Luton all the way for automatic promotion.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Can't wait for the Opposition view, I felt that Swindon were a class act and we were all present at a good match. I had no problems with the Ref, he had to acknowledge his lino flagging the 'foul' for the disallowed goal and he let the game flow. VAR would have spoilt this one I feel.....;-)

Never saw a flag for the disallowed goal..thought it was the ref that made the decision.

• As soon as Swindon went one up in 3 minutes I felt we’d won. Sometimes I think we need that extra push to get motivated, kind of ‘throw them in the pool and they’ll start swimming’. Of course I also spent the rest of the match terrified they may drown anyway!

• The problem for teams is that we've usually got 6 players in any starting line-up who look capable of scoring 2 goals in any given game right now.

• TBH I didnt think we played that well for a lot of the game, after we took the lead really. First 10 mins we were first for everything then just seemed a fraction off the pace.

Last 20 mins though I was quite convinced we would score again.

If we can win this kind of game when we are not quite at our best, it bodes well.

• it is madness to leave early particularly when most of our matches go for a minimum 5 minutes added time.I got hospitality last night which is something we do often for night matches and sitting in the warm with a drink is perfect as we can watch the car park empty out slowly and decide when its time to leave

• IwastherewhenBeanodidntscore

• IwastherewhenBeanocrossedforaperfectlygoodBayogoalwronglydisallowed

• Bayo had his arm on the player and I can see why the ref ruled it out live but VAR would have given the goal I think.

• Richie, if you live 130 miles away, why do you have London in your name?

• @eric_plant Sounds about right if you live in Luton and go the wrong way round the M25.

• I love everybody

• @eric_plant said:
    Richie, if you live 130 miles away, why do you have London in your name?

Hasn't got Sat Nav on his reliant robin!

• cos I chose to remain anon on this website.

• very wise if the club knew their secrets were being leaked on the Gasroom...

• Sid is all over a gas leak