Skip to content

Match day thread: Exeter

13»

Comments

• @DevC reassuring to hear. If Scarr's hammy keeps him out for any length of time, and with Stewart not yet ready to return, we will be relying on El-Abd and McGinley to strike up an understanding.

• P.S. "Dev was there when Beany scored" t-shirts now in sale.

• Funnily enough, I thought Gape was having a bit of a stinker in the first half and the start of the second. Thought he grew into the game though.

Exeter made life very hard for us first half, closing us down very quickly on the ball, which lead to a few nervy moments at the back, but it seemed they couldn't keep it up second half and this let us back into the game. Suddenly the likes of Gape had space to run into and their backline looked stretched.

First half we never looked like scoring, but we had a good spell at the start of the second, scored and from then on it was a fairly even contest, with both sides going for the win. Maybe the hosts were slightly the better side overall, but I think a deaw was fair.

Ref didn't seem too bad today, but how many times did Bayo visibly have his shirt pulled in the box. Frustrating that the lino missed that every single time as they were pratically tearing it off his back on at least two occassions. Credit to him for not going down like some would. For all their criticisms of our style of play, Exeter weren't shy about throwing in a few black arts themselves. Good away atmosphere for the most part, but home fans seemed subdued. Did anyone else see Paris limping at the end? Hopefully the fact he was walking around at the end means nothing serious. Not a great game, but ok.

• LX1LX1
    edited February 2018

To be fair to @DevC that post was uncharacteristically not all about himself and his day out. Early fav for most improved poster of the year

• @LX1 said:
    McGinley's has kind of come in under the radar amongst the dramatic scenes of recent weeks. I hope he loves what he is experiencing athe Wycombe and decides to sign for us permanently one day. Could be a future captain

I said the same about Dan Scarr a few weeks ago. More likely to sign permanently than Nathan McGinley, I think. As a northeasterner (?), Nathan might not wish to move south. But I agree about his potential.

• @StrongestTeam Yes, that was an odd one. JJ ended up moving the ball back a bit in the end.

Still, I thought the ref was ok compared to the usual standard. No idea if he got their penalty shout right or not. My first thought was that there was contact, although the ball was clearly (I thought) running out of play anyway. I was mystified how the lino missed those shirt-pulls though.

• I thought it was the best ref we have had in a while. He got the odd thing wrong - they all do - but he definitely had a better grip than most, and avoided becoming the story.

• I have given up on the Bayo shirt pulls ever being called, too, so I can't factor that into my ref assessment!

• small follow-up on the pudding pitch - further heavy rain overnight has turned a marginal pitch at the weekend into an unplayable one today. Exeter game this evening is postponed.

• They were due to play away at Port Vale.

• that's true. I was talking bollocks. oops. Did rain a lot last night though! perhaps it washed my final brain cell away....

• That's how bad it is.

• Not totally clear whether you were referring to DevC’s cerebral deficiency or the state of Exeter’s pitch @HCblue.

• Wrote mine before I saw Dev's!

• @DevC wasn't entirely wrong, Port Vale vs Exeter has been called off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42955437

• Yes. We all knew that. He was being teased for getting the venue wrong.

• I join @DevC in the washed out brain cell group.

• @StrongestTeam said:

Some finish to the game that, loved Tommy Mooney

You never told me that before @StrongestTeam !

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Ah, I didn't see the link before, just assumed you liked dropping your trousers out of car windows

Brilliant!