Skip to content

Bad decisions even themselves out over the course of a season

Comments

• Bean celebrated with the fans - that's a yellow, but a worthwhile one. A bit like Jordon Ibe with his debut goal.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    According to the BBC we didn't have anyone booked on Saturday, confusing.

I hope the BBC were right but they’re not usually! Like everyone else I was too busy celebrating to notice at the time.

• @aloysius said:
    Bean celebrated with the fans - that's a yellow, but a worthwhile one. A bit like Jordon Ibe with his debut goal.

Celebrating ‘with’ the fans is not a yellow unless the player leaves the field of play to join them. Did he do that? Can’t remember in the mayhem that followed the goal!

• he was booked for over celebration and it was his 10th yellow of the season including one in the Checkatrade.

• so a booking at Exeter will see him out of Swindon.

• I think I saw a few of the kids encroaching slightly onto the grass - only because there's no hard barrier there and they were all about six, they wouldn't have known better. I guess Bean could be booked for encouraging that if nothing else. As an aside, his tweet about his parents missing his goal was hilarious. True bathos. A lesson to everyone who leaves a few minutes early to beat the traffic!

• Bean was definitely booked but it was his 9th yellow of the season including one in the Checkatrade.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/suspensions/clubdiscipline?league=33&club=10654473

• I’m sure someone said after the game (may indeed have been Bean himself) that the ref said he was sorry but he had no option.

• Thanks @Vital. So his next yellow will be his ninth in the EFL. Is the next trigger point (up to 11 March) 10 yellows and is it a two match suspension?

• The problem with Bean's situation, is that the ref won't have known it was his first goal ever in a million games, and won't have particularly cared that it was an incredible comeback. He certainly won't have known Bean was seeking his parents (who must have had a dreadful position in the corner!)

All he'll have seen is a player sprinting the whole length of the pitch in a bid to waste time.

A shame, but a yellow card is minimum cost for the reward!

• @micra Next cut off point is 10 yellows after 37 league games which does indeed correspond to Sunday 11th March. Two match suspension.

Assume Checkatrade yellows don't count again this season, although I've not seen confirmation of that.

• I'm shocked to find myself agreeing with @glasshalffull about the non-sending off of the Carlisle keeper. There seems to be a consensus emerging that, because of the double jeopardy thing, yellow was the "correct" decision. But it was a dangerous, two-footed tackle. Surely that's a red anywhere else on the pitch?

• @rmjlondon said:
    so a booking at Exeter will see him out of Swindon.

Apparently not. Hope you’re not too disappointed.

• @rmjlondon I hope the players appreciate your positivity. Having you around the ground must make rehabilitation a blast.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    I'm shocked to find myself agreeing with glasshalffull about the non-sending off of the Carlisle keeper. There seems to be a consensus emerging that, because of the double jeopardy thing, yellow was the "correct" decision. But it was a dangerous, two-footed tackle. Surely that's a red anywhere else on > @OakwoodExile said:
    I'm shocked to find myself agreeing with glasshalffull about the non-sending off of the Carlisle keeper. There seems to be a consensus emerging that, because of the double jeopardy thing, yellow was the "correct" decision. But it was a dangerous, two-footed tackle. Surely that's a red anywhere else on the pitch?

The law was changed last year meaning that a keeper conceding a penalty with a ‘genuine attempt to win the ball’ was liable to receive a yellow card rather than red.
    It’s all about opinions, of course, but in my view the Carlisle keeper knew that Tyson had got the better of him and deliberately brought him down.

• I'm inclined to agree, but I'm not certain, so a yellow is right in my eyes

• I didn't see the keeper's challenge as anything too sinister, just massively caught out by a quite exceptional piece of acceleration and desire from Tyson.

Hope he's eased that niggle off now, as it looked a painful one.

• Amazed there seems to be much more debate on our penalty than the Carlisle one. For me Luke O'Nien can feel incredibly hard done by but the Tyson challenge was a pretty bog standard yellow card for the keeper.
    I think the keeper was done by Tyson's pace and didn't actually have time to think about bringing him down.

Any news on an appeal on the sending off yet? Would be a tricky one to overturn due to the camera angles and distances but it did feel wrong at the time and still does now.

• I have to disagree on the Carlisle keeper’s intentions but I guess only he knows the truth. Regarding Luke, near impossible to judge from the main camera coverage but I agree that he seems to be trying to chest the ball away although his arm is very close to the ball as well.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I have to disagree on the Carlisle keeper’s intentions but I guess only he knows the truth. Regarding Luke, near impossible to judge from the main camera coverage but I agree that he seems to be trying to chest the ball away although his arm is very close to the ball as well.

His arm is close to his chest because it's attached to the side of it! Sometimes wonder where players are supposed to put their arms these days? Getting to the stage of a footballers value being double if he can detach his arms once he has tied his bootlaces!

• I said his arm is close to the ball. I am well aware of human biology!

• Wonder if we've been able to use some clever slowing down of the ball, or the angle from behind the goal, or something that is much easier to see than what all of us did!

If we got that overturned, and got the win, we've really had an ideal outcome!

• Luke has been banned for one game. Just as I thought, the refereeing fraternity stick together again.

• I'm sad for Luke but thank goodness the squad are so together, I'm sure they'll more than rise to the occasion on Saturday.

• I guess stomachs are the new hands...

• Well though 09 has been playing we can cover with Gapey and he'll come roaring back on Tuesday. Still seems super-harsh

• As predicted, complete waste of time

• If the goal video was offered and found to be admissable I am at a loss to understand the decision.

• Iwastherewhen09waswronglysentoff

I see a tee shirt coming ??