Skip to content

1 year ago today

....we were at White Hart Lane running rings round the mighty Spurs. Of all the highs(and lows) of supporting the mighty Wycombe that has to be perhaps the proudest and possibly the most emotional 90 mins ever, apart from Torquay 2014. Let’s hope we can play close to that Tuesday and come home with the points.....

Comments

• With regard to "proudest & most emotional", I personally would have the replay v Wimbledon @ Selhurst as at least up there with WHL.

• Plenty of games for me above the Spurs game but it was a great day and maybe @Pete hasn't been a fan that long. We have been very lucky for a long time to have some great memories watching Wycombe.

• Wimbledon at Selhurst for me.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Plenty of games for me above the Spurs game but it was a great day and maybe Pete hasn't been a fan that long. We have been very lucky for a long time to have some great memories watching Wycombe.

Been following the Blues for 30 odd years. Did Leicester, missed Selhurst Park but done all the other bigs ones. All down to personal opinions but your right we have been very lucky for a long time to have some great memories. The nicest thing about the Spurs game was a Spurs fan at work the day after saying how we had deserved to win. Let’s hope we get plenty more!!

• edited January 2018

I was wondering where that 3rd goal would rank in the "Most unexpected goals" we've scored in my 25 years or so following.

Even then we've been spoilt. In no particular order, you'd have to include

Essandoh v Leicester
    McCarthy v Wimbledon
    Easter v Chelsea, and also the Charlton away one.

Bound to be a few shouts for goals away at top of the league teams when we've been much lower, say the Man City winners, perhaps wins at Plymouth. Birmingham away 94 etc.
    You could well put Ryan's v Liverpool in there, but perhaps that loses marks for us being 2-0 down at the time.

But Thompson's header and those first 4 seem the standout 5 to me

• Zebroski's winner away at Darlington in 2009. No way anyone saw that coming, including Zebroski.

• Hakan Hayrettin at Preston was very special indeed

• Carroll v Preston (Wembley).

• Wimbledon replay certainly ticked all the highs and lows boxes, often within a few minutes of each other. Most exhausting match ever - for fans and players alike?

• I’ll add another Darlington goal as unexpected. Apologies for the errors in memory (not helped by a liquid pre-match with some very sociable darlo fans) but I remember they were top of the conference, we were near the bottom and we somehow won 1-0 (Martin Lambert the scorer?)

• In the "Most unexpected goals" category: Dannie Bulman's arse vs Bristol Rovers (one of my personal favourite Wycombe goals).

• Unexpected - Emblen at Lincoln

• ... And Garner at Huddersfield on their 'opening day'

• This thread has certainly brought back some happy memories and I agree with all the games and goals mentioned above. It’s really difficult to put them into any order of merit and it just goes to show how fortunate we’ve been to follow a small club that has so often punched above its weight.

• 17th May 1975, Keith Searle's 85th minute winner at home to Dagenham, to win the Isthmian league title. Still in my top five all time favourite moments. It was a miserably wet afternoon and we had all but given up hope of securing the win, but the explosion of unrestrained joy on the terraces when he volleyed into the far corner was something I have rarely experienced since.

One thing I can't stand is badge kissing, particularly by overpaid footballers, but boot kissing is very acceptable, and the iconic photo of Searley kissing the toe of that magic piece of footwear is probably only second to St Martin with that warm, contented smile, walking the Conference trophy around Adams Park, backed by equally contented fans.

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/images/searle_keith-17may1975.jpg

• Emblen at Lincoln is a good call - absolutely mad situation with a tremendous outcome. I’ll put in a shout for Simon Garner’s late goal at Carlisle in the play-off semis and the mayhem it caused!

• Coventry City @ home when Bobby Gould was their Manager. Selhurst Park arrived late 1 0 down won on penaltys. Martin Taylor in Goal, got home late Coca Cola and a kabab in Bridge Street car park doing a Highland Fling. Oh what a night. That was. COYB

• Does Colin Daniel for Mansfield against Bristol Rovers count?

• Of a more recent vintage and whilst not in the same category as those already mentioned, I particularly enjoyed Hayes late, late penalty winner v.Exeter and the two later winners by Tyson and CMS to silence that deplorable and deluded manager of Crewe.

• 25th April 1992. penultimate weekend of the season. Driving in a Surrey suburb. last heard Colchester were 2-0 up at Macclesfield - promotion dreams virtually over. Score flash comes through on radio - Macclesfield had scored to lead 4-3 - man screams in shocked delight, baby daughter in back of car screams in fear, wife screams in anger - who cares, Wycombe were going to be in the League. A few minutes later final score came through 4-4 and we weren't again. Bugger.

• @Steve_Peart
    The Iconic photo of Keith Searle 'boot kissing' is the finest ever still Wanderers photo.
    It's hard to believe it's never been reproduced in any memorabillia or T-shirt form, or would make a classic album cover, as it looks very much like Marc Bolan to the untrained eye.

• Terribly unhygienic though.

• @Chris said:
    Does Colin Daniel for Mansfield against Bristol Rovers count?

I have to say yes as that brings back the memories of Torquay. I knew they day was going to be ours when I saw the guys dressed as Jesus with the signs believe walking into the ground and the icing on the cake was to see those horrible Bristol

I love this bloody club........

• Re
    Keith Searle I was there when he scored with that famous boot.Nowadays ays they would print hundreds of tee shirts with that image on them.He was a great centre forward with a brilliant telepathy with Bodger HorsemanA deadly striking partnership for several years .Am I right saying that Searle won League titles every year between 1971and 1978 ? 71,72,74,75 with us 73 with Hendon and 76-78 with Enfield?

• Whether Keith Searle qualified for a Championship medal for Hendon is very debatable.
    He left us at the end of November, went onto play only 6 leagues for Hendon (and 6 goals) before returning to Loakes Park in early March.

• six League games

• Another one of Keith Searle's brief departures from Loakes Park happened at the start of the 71/72 season. He left to Join Hayes, but was back at Loakes Park after only two games for the newly promoted Church Rd outfit.

Interesting read from the Hayes & Yeading site below

"The story of Keith Searle is still difficult to understand, even over three decades later. Born at Hammersmith in 1947, and living at Harrow, he had played for Wealdstone, Barnet and Wycombe Wanderers, where he had won a leagueKeith Searle championship medal in 1970-1, when he signed for Bob Gibbs at Hayes in preparation for the club's first season in the Isthmian League. He was highly rated and successful at Wycombe - he had even scored the goal at Oxford which gave Wycombe the championship. His departure caused consternation at Wycombe, but when he arrived at Hayes he played with a chip on his shoulder. After two weeks and two defeats, Bob Gibbs took him aside and talked to him into the early hours to ascertain whether his heart was with Hayes. When it became clear that it was not, Gibbs sacked him and he returned to Wycombe, where he won three more championship medals (1971-2, 1973-4 and 1974-5), to Enfield (three more, bringing his total to seven), and Oxford City. He won only one amateur cap - this would have been more if amateurism had not been abolished in 1974. But he had the last laugh over Hayes, for, in a 4th round Amateur Cup tie in 1972, he scored the only goal of the game. In the semi-final, Wycombe lost to eventual winners Hendon - next season Searle joined Hendon, but he was back at Wycombe by March 1974, in time for another medal. History looks to have repeated itself. With the benefit of hindsight, one gets the impression that he craved success and had allowed himself to be manoeuvred into a position that he did not know how to get out of. It seems clear that he had allowed a grievance at Wycombe to grow out of all proportion. Quite a long story for someone who played only two games."

• After all these years I still think Keith Searle is the best striker, or 'centre forward' as we should call him, that we have ever had. Big, brave and strong, he scored with feet and head, and was particularly strong in the air. At an ex-players dinner a few years ago, Bodger said he had had many partnerships up front, with many good players, but Searle was the best he had played with. He took the blows for him, he said. Incidentally at that same dinner, I remember John Maskell saying that the best players shoot early, before the goalkeeper is set. I'm always willing our strikers to do the same, Kashket understands that but not many do.

When Keith Searle walked down those steps onto the pitch at Loakes Park, it filled you with confidence, you knew we had a good chance of winning the game with him leading the line. I can't say I have felt the same way about many players since.

• I respect your opinion Steve but since the majority of Keith’s appearances we’re in the Isthmian League, I don’t see how you can rate him higher than some of the excellent strikers/centre forwards that have played for us in the much higher standard of Leagues 1& 2.