Skip to content

Clubs' sustainability in this division

Did anyone else hear the Notts County chairman on the radio at lunchtime? I didn't catch the exact figure but I think he said that they are currently losing £1.8 million a year. They too have a 5 year plan which is predicated on them winning promotion this year and aiming for the Championship within that period!

I know that football does not adhere to any sensible economic model but, seriously, what sort of wage bill must they have to be losing that amount?

A second question, does anyone know / recall what sort of losses (and wage bill) we had at the 'peak' when Steve Hayes was speculating by paying high wages in the hope of getting up the ladder?

Comments

• County sound like just the sort of club we want to take surplus players off so as to lower their wage bill.

• @thicketblue In Lamberts final year(2007/8) the Loss was in excess of 1.6 million , with attendance of about 4,700, no idea of staff costs but I think the budget would have required a average gate of around 14,000 to breakeven. I think our loss in Gorman's final year was about 1.8millon, average attendance 5,445, with a 15,650 gate required for breakeven. I believe the losses for the Hayes reign were in excess of 9 Million.

• It may sound boring and pragmatic, but my two biggest hoped for Wycombe are to remain in the league and remain fan owned. If we manage those, I can live with anything else (though of course promotion would be awesome!). Just reading this about Notts County emphasizes how so many clubs are a few bad decisions away from administration.

• *hopes

• @Thicketblue What radio station/show was the interview on?

• In reply to Bluntphil (I don't subscribe to Twitterspeak), it was 5Live at about midday / 1.00pm.