Skip to content

The Opposition View - Colchester

Comments

• Reads like beautiful poetry washed down with the finest wine.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Reads like beautiful poetry washed down with the finest wine.

Or in my case some lovely Somerset farmhouse cider. I hate the ****s as i'm nearly 60 and remember what happened between us and Col U in the early 90's.

• I know I am biased, but GA must be the least whiney manager in League Two. Colchester's fans seem more realistic than their manager, and that is saying something! Every time we beat someone it seems like we should have lost 5-0 according to their boss. As for the officiating, a lot more of the 50-50 decisions went their way.

• I thought the comments were fairly balanced, standing on the terrace I thought McGinley's challenge was at least a yellow card. We definitely had the rub of the green with PCH's deflection. Great result and a great addition with Moore.

• I’d forgotten about that challenge in the first half. Now I have had my memory jogged, I remember my first reaction was that I had seen those given. I couldn’t tell if ball or player had been in contact first. And had it been given probably would have warranted a red.

Still, nevermind eh? These things balance out and we been the scum.

• Indeed! What I think was rare yesterday, was that both teams played well and that made for a very exciting game. Quite rare for League 2! Yes, I think we did get lucky when McGinley looked to have brought down their forward, it's not often we get the rub of the green on decisions like that. It was a match that could have gone either way to be honest, pleasingly we were able to produce moments of quality in both boxes when needed the most.

• McGinley did seem to get away with one there, but then so did their player who went in two-footed on PCH in the 2nd half. Ref gave the foul, but amazingly didn't produce a card when it was surely a yellow minimum.

Overall I actually thought the ref did ok though. Not flawless, obviously, but better than what we usually get at this level.

• I'm not sure he even gave a foul did he @Jonny_King just a throw in?

• @fromtheside said:
    I'm not sure he even gave a foul did he Jonny_King just a throw in?

Correct, he gave a throw-in. Madness.

• @Shev said:
    I know I am biased, but GA must be the least whiney manager in League Two. Colchester's fans seem more realistic than their manager, and that is saying something! Every time we beat someone it seems like we should have lost 5-0 according to their boss. As for the officiating, a lot more of the 50-50 decisions went their way.

I totally agree. GA is always dignified in victory and defeat.

• Unless he’s at Home Park

• @fromtheside @arnos_grove You're probably right. I was shaking my head in disbelief so hard my vision was blurred.

• Funnily enough, I didn't think it was a free kick

• Well he got the ball. And everything else.

He’d lost his rag and it was reckless at best. Yellow card all day long.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Unless he’s at Home Park

I’ve heard about some of the provocation that came from the opposition dugout that day and if true it would have made a saint angry.

• It was a bit of a hospital ball (can't remember who from, Saunders maybe?)

Most players eyes would light up with the chance to go for that tackle I think. Imagine what Jason Cousins would have done.

@glasshalffull don't be shy, we'd all love to hear what you know about what happened at Plymouth

• Let’s just say that Derek Adams isn’t shy when it comes to winding up the opposition. The fact that it’s the only time anyone can remember GA losing the plot in 5 years as manager says it all.

• Bit light on detail that

• When they scored, who was it who misplaced the pass straight to their defender, waltzed back towards our area when the ball was fed forward by them, then went for the wrong man allowing million £ man to score? Looked on the highlights but can’t see even a number at that distance. Anyone?

• I don’t think trying to identify the perpetrator of a misplaced pass in the course of such a cracking match has gone down down too well on here @NorsQuarters!
    In fairness, out of character for you, I think.

• Ref this post above:- "Overall I actually thought the ref did ok though. Not flawless, obviously, but better than what we usually get at this level."
    Would this not equally apply to the players at this level?

• Hi @wingnut. I was referring to the popular opinion that, generally speaking, referees at this level seem to consistently fall below the standard one might reasonably expect for professional football.

• Officials, players and managers aside, I find the fans at this level delightful. @wingnut @Jonny_King