Skip to content

The Opposition View - Forest Green

Comments

• Nasty stamp, really cowardly.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Was Cooper junior about to be subbed (they were readying one) before he lost the plot and stamped on Luke? I reckon so.

• Thought it unlikely he would have a reason to want to stamp on Luke at the time, but it doesn't look good on the highlights! And what a brilliantly taken goal theirs was! Appreciated the strike at the time but he worked himself the space so well.

• What was the wolf moon like?

• Surprisingly well-behaved.

• @LX1 said:
    What was the wolf moon like?

The howls didn't carry - must've been an unfavourable wind... it was certainly the nicest drive to an away game I've probably ever had though, drove through some picture postcard villages on the way there.

• It MAY be good football, at this level, it's losing football as the league table shows.

• I was interested to read about the keeper knocking loads of kicks off the pitch as in the home game he didn't ever kick it long from a goal kick.
    The good football v winning football debate is a circle I'll never be able to complete. I'll leave that to others

• I suppose successful football at our level requires a combination of 20% pretty passing, 80% play it long and a fair bit of toughing it out.

• Does that mean that teams need to give 110%, @micra?

• @aloysius said:
    Does that mean that teams need to give 110%, micra?

No, it means that I am obsessed with the Pareto Principle which, in truth, doesn’t fit well into this context. Toughing it out occurs intermittently throughout a game, not necessarily only during the “uglier” passages of play. And I’d like to think that the 20% component will increase in response to criticism of the recent tendency to revert to hoofball when the chips are down.

• edited January 2018

@Right_in_the_Middle it wasn't the same goalkeeper. Yesterday's is a loanee addition from Chelsea. Sam Russell who played at Adams Park is injured.

The five consecutive kicks out of play were honestly beyond parody. It was so bad it might be worth looking for some unusual betting activity!

• One of the comments on the FGR forum suggests that it's a deliberate tactic.

"The kicking for touch tactic simply doesn’t work - the cheers when brad went route one and we did well was loud and clear"

Leaving four up front when we won a corner was another 'odd' tactic, certainly caused a mild panic amongst the two of our players that were left to mark them first time they did it.

• Interesting to note that we nearly always played a short corner.

• @Chris said:
    Interesting to note that we nearly always played a short corner.

Can't remember the last normal corner that resulted directly in a goal so I was quite pleased to see us try some short ones

• I also liked this approach and it led to some dangerous looking balls into the box. Still no goals though.

• @Chris said:
    I also liked this approach and it led to some dangerous looking balls into the box. Still no goals though.

Wasn't the 2nd goal a result of one of them corners or am I just imagining it?

• You’re probably right!

• Our current group of centre backs are curiously unthreatening at corners. I thought Dan Scarr would be a real weapon at set pieces.

• Having had a quick look at the highlights the second goal was from a corner delivered straight into the box, although to the near post. I had no idea it was from a corner at all, memory is a strange thing.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Our current group of centre backs are curiously unthreatening at corners. I thought Dan Scarr would be a real weapon at set pieces.

Had a bullet header against Mansfield from a corner, foot either side of the keeper would have been a goal.

• That corner from Saunders was dreadful, I wouldn't say he was aiming for Akinfenwa at the near post. It was defended abysmally.

Didn't we score from a corner at Carlisle in the last minute to equalise?

• We did indeed @DJWYC14 a Paris header.

• The fact CMS and bayo were in front of the front post (and bayo right on the touch line) suggested to me that it was at least semi intentional to hit it low to them from Saunders.

• Perhaps @Username but I thought Saunders lined it up as if he planning to whip the ball in at pace. All about your interpretation I suppose.

• Yh, I guess only he'll know

• I only saw the highlights but my first impression of the ball in for the second goal was an awful delivery. So bad it confused the hell out of the defenders who were also awful.

Maybe it’s a tactic straight out of the “kick goal kicks directly into touch” book.