Skip to content

Holloway confirms Eze is going back to QPR

No great surprise, but frees up a wage spot I suppose

Comments

• Hopefully he'll chuck him straight into the first team, realise he's a long way from the finished article that he might have seemed a couple of months ago when he was on fire and they came to watch him, and we can have him back before the end of January.

• The QPR fans (and Josh Scowen) are calling for new transfers in January. I find it optimistic that Eze will satisfy their ambitions. I hope 100% that he can hit the ground running but quite recently Holloway was telling Rs fans that GA was teaching Eze to work off the ball. Something he needs at higher levels.

Good luck and thanks for the memories.

• What memories, too. Probably the most talented and exciting prospect since Jordon. Very likeable guy as well. And 22 matches without a single yellow card is also some achievement!
    Thanks for the memories Ebers and good luck for the future.

• I think 22 games without a yellow is because he hardly makes a tackle. He needs to work so much harder off the ball; he has all the talent- hopefully not wasted due to a lack of work rate.

• @SEWanderer What we have to remember is that he was doing what he did in a midfield 3 where you have to graft, graft, graft and 100% concentration. He was possibly not used to that kind of role as the teams higher up the pyramid prefer a five. I just hope that wherever he ends up next uses him as a focal point for their team set up and gives him the midfield support he needs. We have Bayo as our focal point so he had to fit in with us and fit in he (largely) did.
    I hope he has learned a load about real football and can take that back to wherever. My concern would be that he goes back to QPR and gets thrown in to a team under pressure and suffers because of that. He's still a kid and will continue to make mistakes, lose the ball in the wrong place, not track a runner etc and I'm sure their fans won't be as forgiving as us.

• QPR fans have never struck me as a forgiving bunch. I have really enjoyed watching Eze play for us. At times he has been sublime and even in his quieter matches he has learnt how to play at this level and has always needed to be watched.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on in the Championship. I'm not sure the gap is as wide as some seem to think. I actually think he may get more time than in our league and this can only help him.

• @SEWanderer said:
    I think 22 games without a yellow is because he hardly makes a tackle. He needs to work so much harder off the ball; he has all the talent- hopefully not wasted due to a lack of work rate.

I don’t agree with that. It’s true that he became less combative in his last few games (whether to guard against injury prior to his return to QPR or through the kind of fatigue that can overtake young players - cf Dom Gape last season) but until then he was regularly nicking the ball off players in tight situations and finding good passes whilst still hemmed in. And I still whince when I think of one challenge over by the dugout in the Newport game when he wound up going over the top of the opposition player and landing heavily on his shoulder.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    If he bangs a couple in the top corner like he did at Cambridge he can do whatever he likes, championship probably a little less fighty than L2 which may also help him.

Fully agree. 5 goals in 22 games is a pretty good return for a midfielder. Ask Blooms!

• I agree with @micra his skill in tight situations, dribbling the ball and leaving opposition players kicking air was a delight to watch. Worth a few quiet games.

• Technically one of those most gifted players outside the top flight, whether its Holloway or another Manager or another club. But ive no doubt someone will utilise the rare and sublime touch and balance that Eze posseses, and with his attitude there is now way he will fade into obscurity.

• Neatly put @ChasHarps.