Skip to content

Match day thread: Forest Green Rovers

2»

Comments

• edited January 2018

Blimey! Another game of two halves. I jokingly predicted 8-0 just before kick-off and it might easily have been that by half-time: Forest Green were that awful. Think I counted six goal kicks put straight into touch to that point. We were profligate in the area but it didn't seem it would matter when we got the second and they had one sent off - would like to see that again on the highlights: I fancy he may have been somewhat unlucky and not helped by Sam's gross overreaction, again.

Second half, Freeman would have been in on goal straight from kick-off if his first touch had been better. But it wasn't and thereafter it was pretty much all FGR. At times, we looked the team with only ten and struggled to cope with their lively 10 in central midfield, who played beautifully.

This Jackal and Hyde routine is becoming worrying and bodes poorly for the coming weeks, especially with some really tough fixtures coming up, but I'll take the points! Luke MOTM again for me: great energy and use of the ball. Best all-round performer. Well done.

• Good write up, @HCblue - I agree that consistency and ruthlessness are two big worries. There seem to be so many games we drop points we should have had in the bag. Still, 4th place is a nice place to be for now!

• Thanks, @shev. I agree about the dropped points. On the way there, my son and I were exchanging stories of matches where we'd missed getting a result somehow, including decisions gone against us like the penalty not given on Saturday. Not getting three points today would have been a disgrace and a worrying stamp of non-promotionworthiness (which is definitely a word, btw).

• PS. Where the ref got six minutes of added time from in the second half, I have no idea. Otherwise, he was calm and rather good, I thought.

• I’d agree with much of that @HCblue - thought the red card looked justified though I’d like to see it again, as much for the unique circumstances surrounding it as the actual incident.

• Agreed! I have been saying for a while now that anything but automatic promotion will result in serious "what might have beens". From Luton's late show, to the Cheltenham late equalizer after the foul on Eze, the list goes on. The only two I can think of on the flip side are the late turnaround against Crewe, and the PCH equalizer against Carlisle...where we were robbed by a dive earlier in the game anyway!

• @HCblue said:
    PS. Where the ref got six minutes of added time from in the second half, I have no idea. Otherwise, he was calm and rather good, I thought.

From the 4th official I would think!

• After the last two second half displays are we to conclude that another of Baz's skills was the half time team talk? Seriously, injuries and general legginess seemed to get to us in the second half, along with opponents who went for it with nothing to lose. Hope the injuries start to clear soon though.

• Was Dominic Gape injured?

• Yes, he hobbled off the pitch with some assistance.

• That will be a blow if he is out again for any length of time. Fingers crossed.

• Marvellous quote from one of their fans (via Vitalfootball - an excellent trawl of opposition opinion as always):

tommyd wrote:
    "Short of driving a diesel car full of sausages into the Chairman's office whilst milking a cow, I have no idea what Cooper has to do to get sacked."

;-D

• Interesting. Extended highlights available on Youtube via the Forest Green page:

Ten minutes-worth. Gives a good feel for the balance of play in the game.

• Saunders had a right go at Doidge on the final whistle

• @HCblue said:
    Interesting. Extended highlights available on Youtube via the Forest Green page:

Ten minutes-worth. Gives a good feel for the balance of play in the game.

Thanks for the link, didn’t realise at the time how clear Doidge was towards the end if the West Brom lad had passed it.

• edited January 2018

Watching that, i'm not sure how someone said earlier it was a harsh red. Or that you could see why O Nien brought it on! What, for shielding the ball?

Let alone the poster who implied Saunders' "angry" reaction had somehow influenced it.

He stamped on him!

On another note, the seats are a little close to the pitch aren't they? Especially at the ends where there are no ad boards.