Skip to content

Dobbo for manager? When the time comes...

edited November 2017 in Football

Obviously we hope we still have a few more seasons with GA, but I had a thought today at the game that perhaps Richard Dobson is a natural fit to step up if Ainsworth was to ever leave. Unless of course he went with him (hopefully wouldn't happen).

Dobbo seems incredibly well respected rated by the club, is always one of the first to be acknowledged by players when they move on, and obviously has a history of working with and getting the best out of young talent, so very much in fitting with the club's current ethos.

Wondered if the thought had crossed anyone else's mind or if I was completely on my own on this one. In a world where L2 managers last just a few months if things don't start well, perhaps a little bit of consistency in personnel wouldn't hurt things if (and surely when) GA moves on.

Comments

• Ainsworth would be mad not to take Dobbo with him.

• However, in my opinion, Ainsworth is ready for the Championship yet.

• we can't be anybody thats above or around us so he is not ready for top of league 2 let alone the championship.

• It’s still 3 points for a win whether you beat the top clubs or those near the bottom so it’s not as important as you suggest. We are 4 points behind the automatic promotion places after 20 games, I reckon that’s good progress.

• Richie’s glass is always just about empty. Club shop wages don’t allow him to ever re-fill it

• @rmjlondon said:
    we can't be anybody thats above or around us so he is not ready for top of league 2 let alone the championship.

We can be anyone we like to be and frequently prove it.

• @bookertease said:
    Richie’s glass is always just about empty. Club shop wages don’t allow him to ever re-fill it

He will when he gets his Christmas bonus.

• Least deserved Christmas bonus since Steven Craig.

• Now now Jonny, i'm sure we covered that at length, and bottom of the league performances were deservedly rewarded, and the main thing was him getting his cash.

• @Malone Sorry mate, honestly my memory...

• We owe Dobo, he brings Ibe into youth system, Ibe money puts us back on an even keel .
    Good number two (or is it three behind Baz?), not sure he is manager material though, different skill set.

• @rmjlondon say something positive about the team, manager and players you support. Go on.

• Having chatted to Dobbo and Dom Gape on our 500 Club dinner table last season, I'd say that he isn't necessarily looking for a Manager post. He told us that he does indeed bring a different skill set in development, nurturing and discovering new talent in both youth and 'cast aside' players. Long may he continue in that incredibly valuable role as he's clearly very good at it.

• Ainsworth would be lost without Dobbo.

• better let Dobbo do the driving then.

• Why doesn't Gareth use sat nav!

• edited November 2017

Richard Dobson has probably played the most important role at the club in the past 10 years or so, though he has received very scant praise in relation to what he has done for us. If anyone deserves first dibs on being the next manager it's him.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    Richard Dobson has probably played the most important role at the club in the past 10 years or so, though he has received very scant praise in relation to what he has done for us. If anyone deserves first dibs on being the next manager it's him.

Agree although, I have reservations that e would even want that role. Dobbo is excellent at what he does and I believe will be happier in that role. I can't see him moving away from that speciality field, though he may be tempted by a Premiership/Championship club, for more £££, if he feels it is a stable environment & ownership?

• I suspect that as well @EwanHoosaami , not everyone is suited to the high-profile role of being the manager. We'd be crazy not to at least ask him though.