Skip to content

The last "proper " Hat Trick ?

Following CMS brilliant treble yesterday ,does anyone who when and where a Wycombe player last scored 3 goals in a row ,which is apparently the proper definition of a Hat Trick in football ? Can't think myself

Comments

• Stuart Roberts against Northampton did it; of the bench no less. I'm struggling to think of more recent examples.

• Scott McGleish got one ages ago. Did Hayes ever score a hat trick? Or Trotta?

• Trotta did get one. When he famously brushed aside about 3 Exeter players in the last minute, and waited until then to pull of his shirt to reveal a message to his Italian dad in the crowd. I prefer to think of that as supreme confidence than forgetfulness. But, I think there was an Exeter goal in the middle of his hattrick.

Otherwise, McGleish did score 4 goals in a 4-0 win away at Mansfield.

Did Dean Morgan ever get one? Or Beavon?

• Tyson got a couple and Devine must have before then.

• I think the Germans refer to a "flawless Hat Trick" as being 3 goals in a row in one half of a match. CMS's were certainly Flawless.

• McGleish's would've been 'perfect' too - right foot, left foot, header

• CMS’s first hat trick for 9 years ! Reckon he’s enjoying himself at Adams Park.

• Isn't the perfect hat trick, left foot, right foot @ header? Not necessarily in that order.

• edited November 2017

@oilysailor Provided a definitive list of our last eleven hattrick scorers on twitter yesterday.

• Beg pardon, Jonny?

• Bless you, Jonny.

• ‘‘Tis you, HC.

• GasMan has compiled the times for all our FL hat-tricks, CMS is the fastest:
    http://disc.yourwebapps.com/discussion.cgi?disc=31465;article=790058;title=gasroom.co.uk

• We had years of being a striker's graveyard, so it's been slim pickings for a while!

CMSs strikes would take some beating though. Especially the first two.

• LX1LX1
    edited November 2017

I didn't realise Stallard had scored 3 goals for Wycombe, never mind in one match!

• That fist hatrick at Bradford City was memorable. Smith's finest result as manager I thought. Smash and grab. Used to love those early visits to Valley Parade with the big as was home terrace.

• Desouza scoring a treble in both games against Bradford. Saw them both. Was at uni with a Bradford fan at the time who talked of Miguel being ‘worth a million’!

• Stuart Castledine's performance in that away game was absolutely amazing

• Not sure what sort of humour that is @LX1 , but Stallard was quality for us.

• Miguel Desouza. One of my favourite times was that O Neill season, the second in the league, with Garner and Regis just stalling a bit, and we brought De Souza in, and he was scoring each game.

Such a shame he got an injury, as we were going places!

• @Malone said:
    Miguel Desouza. One of my favourite times was that O Neill season, the second in the league, with Garner and Regis just stalling a bit, and we brought De Souza in, and he was scoring each game.

Such a shame he got an injury, as we were going places!

Unfortunately history could be repeating itself with Kashket. Hopefully not.

• Very different circumstances, I think @moneyman.

• richie's boys scored another hatful and gave Cambridge a hiding at the weekend. Still smarts that we let those three points slip!

• I’m pleased that GasMan mentioned the Keith Searle hat-trick in nine minutes, any occasion to mention my favourite forward! To score three times in the first 13 minutes of a game is mightily impressive. I was there that night and vaguely remember the expectation the opening brought, that we were going to easily get into double figures, which never happened but eight was enough to gain us a key advantage in our championship push. Thrashings can get uncomfortable after five or so goals, unless against a hated rival. Four goals up after 15 minutes against Merthyr’s youngsters, I can imagine Chesham fans were starting to feel a little a little uneasy by then.

Anyway, it’s important to remember that we have a long history before the Football League, no more and no less important than our FL history. We musn’t lapse into that type of lazy thinking that some football journalists and commentators have adopted, that football began with the Premier League.

So Nathan Tyson has scored three hat-tricks for us, impressive and I hope he scores his fourth this season, but not nearly as impressive as one Robert “Tim” Hinton, who scored, by my reckoning, 14 league and five FA Cup and Amateur Cup hat-tricks in his 1920-26 spell with us. In 1923-24 he scored seven league ones, including four in the first five games, and one in the FA Cup. Granted it was a different era then, not so defensively organised although the offside law change, producing a goal rush, was not until 1925. It’s all relative, all but one of those league hat-tricks were in the Isthmian League, in top level amateur football. Many hats off to Tim!