Skip to content

Match day thread: Cambridge

2»

Comments

• This defence must be up there with the best Wycombe has had in the football league.

• @FallenFlyer said:
    This defence must be up there with the best Wycombe has had in the football league.

whats that now 6 clean sheets out of 7 and 11 or 12 unbeaten?

• No. The usual comprehensive details on the BBC website were missing until late in the games/at full-time Except, as I said, for the Premiership. Perhaps "emasculation" was the wrong word. I'll have to look it up! Errrrr...... next question!!??

• @BSE said:
    whats that now 6 clean sheets out of 7 and 11 or 12 unbeaten?

In 2015, we have played 6, scored 4 and conceded 1. That is 12 points from a possible 18. Despite some people's perception, that is still promotion form.

• Bit ungracious on my part not to have acknowledged the various suggestions above. I got there in the end but thanks for all the comments. Incidentally, I notice that Plymouth only named 6 substitutes today. Surprising, if that's an indication of pressures on their squad. Roll on Tuesday, anyway, and maybe we'll see one or two new names. Anyone know how bad an injury Hogan Ephraim sustained?

• What a game, the crowd where amazing and the team's performance was worthy of a win. I'm buzzing "Well done all".

• According to Ainsworth, it was just cramp that forced Ephraim off.

• Any chants of "Sing up Gasroom two dot zero" ?

• Nah, I didn't hear the "Sing up Gasroom", but towards the end the continue "Chairboys" "Barmy Army" was an epic several minutes (12th man fashion) chanting from the whole South Stand at a crucial stage in get game.

• We did not play especially well today but the defence keeps churning our clean sheets. If we can manage another 7-8 this season we will probably go up, despite the current shortage of goals.

Must get more bodies forward to support Holloway.

• edited February 2015

@Glenactico said:
    We did not play especially well today but the defence keeps churning our clean sheets. If we can manage another 7-8 this season we will probably go up, despite the current shortage of goals.

I'm starting to believe we just might do it. Defensively we are something I haven't seen for a long time. I wonder if we can resist playing Hayes until he's fully fit, then we might just get over the automatic line with his help at the end?

• @Glenactico said:
    We did not play especially well today but the defence keeps churning our clean sheets. If we can manage another 7-8 this season we will probably go up, despite the current shortage of goals.

Must get more bodies forward to support Holloway.

Totally agree, the ball was pelted high and wide to Holloway most of time, even though Holloway won us the free kick that JJ curled in low for the goal.

It was brutal and it was freezing. Love him.

• Back from the match, I sound like a broken record but our back 5 are just so solid. None of them make any mistakes. I think the only goal we conceded in the last 7 games was when the ball got stuck in the snow/ water at Bury.

Cambridge are a direct side but Mawson and Pierre took to the task and they didn't really have any clear cut chances. A bit of quality from Hogan whipping in the set piece was enough to win it and the red card almost immediately after boosted us further. Holloway had a great game today; starved of service at times but you can't fault his hold up play.

Marcus Bean was my man of the match today though - tigerish and combative in midfield with no little skill. He performed the Scowen role outstandingly today and I have been worried about our lack of replacement for Josh so perhaps that was the most pleasing aspect of the day.

Great support and numbers in the away end - over 700 to Cambridge is pretty impressive. Hopefully will be 4k there on Tuesday?

• The sheer brilliance of Mawson & Pierre shows when they do make the smallest of mistakes. The other is always immediately on the scene to clear it up. Happens once or twice every game but you just never feel concerned by it.

I continue to be in awe of just how good our back 5 is. Wonderful composure at all times.

• the only worry with the back 5 is that Mawson is on 9 yellows, 1 more card and a 2 match ban :(

• well I thought we rediscovered a bit of rhythm in our play today, but really need to get better quality on delivery from wide areas which would have allowed a bigger margin win. Important with a ref that left me scratching my head at decisions both ways

• BSEBSE
    edited February 2015

I am yet to work out how to insert photos etc into the posts on here so sorry for that,
    but here is the audio highlight of today game from the Chairboys player .

courtesy of Keith Cummings

https://audioboom.com/boos/2871484-cambridge-united-0-wycombe-1-audio-highs-7th-february-2015#t=0m1s

• @BSE said:
    the only worry with the back 5 is that Mawson is on 9 yellows, 1 more card and a 2 match ban :(

Not true, he's only on 4 yellows so miles away from a ban.

• Pierre however is on 9 yellows, so he will inevitably receive a 2 match ban before the end of the season.

• I beg my pardon due to my poor eyesight I didn't realise Hogan took the free kick. Only sour point for me was queueing up to 45 minutes to collect my ticket and everyone else. One booth in my opinion a bad idea. Nevertheless was a excellent day.

• @Croider said:
    Pierre however is on 9 yellows, so he will inevitably receive a 2 match ban before the end of the season.

Yeah i meant Pierre typed the wrong name ops!

• Brilliant result, especially keeping a clean sheet against one of the top scoring teams in the division. I'm happy if we can keep picking up these 1-0 and 0-0 results whilst Hayes is out. Hopefully when he's back, and/or we get another forward in on loan, we can kick on and put in a few more free-scoring performances like we saw earlier in the season. What I found so pleasing then (other than being top of the league of course...) was that other team management and supporters were finally starting to give us praise for our actual performances and ability, whereas now it seems to be slipping back to abuse and surprise as to where we are in the league.

Now obviously at the end of the day if we go up then I'll be an extremely happy bunny, but it would be so much more satisfying if we can do that whilst being admired by all and sundry as well. Hopefully the return of Hayes will give us that creative spark again to enable us to turn on the style for the remaining few weeks of the season.

• We had the second highest away attendance in the league yesterday, second only to a colossal 2,264 Luton fans at Oxford. Great work by all who made the journey!