Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

BSEBSE
edited April 2015 in Football

Wycombe Team: Ingram, Yennaris, Jacobson, Mawson, Pierre, Bean, Bloomfield, Wood, Onyedinma, Hayes, Holloway.

Subs: Lynch, Fletcher, Murphy, Ephraim, Craig

Burton Team: McLaughlin, Edwards, Cansdell-Sherriff, Mousinho, Taft, McGurk, Stewart, Naylor, McCrory, Beavon, El Khayati

subs: Shearer, Weir, Plamer, Slade, Harness, Maynard, Johnstone

There were two early kick offs , Current scores are Exeter Vs Newport 0-0 & Mansfield Vs Shrewsbury 0-1

Comments

• No Saunders in the match squad?

• @X_Ray_Scotty Injury according to commentary

• Bury 1 up :(

• When will Bury stop winning...

• Referee sounds like a fuckwit.

• Another big decision that's gone against us, GA will not be happy if we lose today, especially after the poor reffing in the Oxford game

• Dam it

• Morecambe level now at Bury.

• Morecambe ahead :-)

• 2-1 to morecombe now! get in!

• Well done lads, unfortunately not getting your just rewards for pressure you put on opposition back lines. Thanks Ref.

• While we've dropped points compared to the top two, we maintain our distance from bury for another game.

• Tough game. Great effort.

• Unfortunately Southend look like they are back in the race after winning today now on 69 points

• I think we will probably have to go through the play-offs. Probably a tiny squad and tiredness as a result is now taking it's toll. Even if we don'go up it will have been a good season.

• It's still in our hands which is good. A freefalling Cheltenham is the perfect game at home to kick start 5 wins.

• luckily southend and bury still have to play each other

• Surprised people are so negative. Bury still have to play Newport, Shrewsbury, Portsmouth, Southend, Wimbledon & Tranmere. Southend have Tranmere, Newport, Exeter, Bury, Luton & Morecambe. We have Cheltenham, Exeter, Wimbledon, Morecambe & Northampton. With 1 game more played, but a 4/5 point lead and a much better goal difference, I think either of the other two teams would happily swap places with us.

• Just got back. Overall I thought we were a bit unlucky. I've no idea why their keeper wasn't sent off. They are possibly the quietest home fans I've ever heard. Holloway looked good. Bean was poor throughout. Overall disappointing as I felt we deserved a draw at least, against a team who only seemed capable of long balls

• In a way it is an alright afternoon as it is another game with Bury kept at arm's length.

Thought our defending for the goal was a little soft.

Hayes had a very average game.

• But the goal difference is only 6 and is quickly being whittled away so lets not bank on that, a win v Cheltenham is a must next saturday.

• Unlucky today. Neither side created much - defensive play excellent from both sides (apart from JJ's doze that lead to their goal). Great support all game and as the man said above, they must be the quietest fans in the land.

I know we're crap at home but we've got to get a result against Cheltenham this Saturday.

• Excellent support today, especially the continued clapping after the final whistle - sends an important message to the team.

• Whilst we were unlucky on the field and probably merited a draw, I don't think we can really complain considering the result from Bury vs Morecambe (Bury will be kicking themselves). A bit wary that we're starting to show signs of fatigue (which is no criticism, the squad has done very well thus far) and we desperately need to sort out our home form starting with the game vs Cheltenham, but it's another game gone with the 4 point gap still (for now) intact.

Let's hope when it comes to it Bury don't win that game in hand.

• Just got back - a few thoughts:

I think we played much better than against Oxford on Friday. Once we'd ridden the early storm (what has happened to Beavon's finishing?) we looked comfortable and with better set pieces could've driven home our advantage.

The ref absolutely bottled the sending off. As poor a decision as I've seen this season.

After the above, of course the keeper would make a match-winning save late on. The header from Pierre looked in all the way.

Burton looked like a good side to me, and I can see why they're top. Wasteful going forward, but very solid and organised. Had all sorts of joy early on with the ball over the top (just like Oxford on Friday!)

All in all, it's been a good day for us - I'd have taken us still having a four point lead at the start of the day. Cheltenham is a huge game on Saturday though, especially with Bury away at Newport. I'm sure Gareth will remind the lads of how much we were fighting for this points at this stage last year though - it won't be an easy game!

• Holloway voted man of the match by both supporters coaches and well deserved. He was mighty impressive. No-one who wasn't there today should be at all disheartened by the result today. It was an excellent performance by us, it just didn't fall our way. That's football sometimes. We can still do this!

• We can do it! Brighten up. We are in the driving seat with 5 games remaining. COYB.

• I think it's Wycombe's style to make it go down to the wire- our last two promotions as well as the relegation escape of last season have been on the last day of the season and I have a suspicion it may happen again this time round. I'm still confident we can get the job done.

• @Jonny "Let's hope when it comes to it Bury don't win that game in hand."

It's against Southend who are only a point further back. By the time that game is played it might be that we want Bury to do us a favour, although it's likely a draw will be best for us.

• 868 away fans is an excellent turn out considering the journey time.