Skip to content

Billericay/Leatherhead

2»

Comments

• Possibly Steve Toll ?
    him of Hedsor Social fame ! !

• Chas - I can back you up on the "Tubby Gooner" story, I also remember his melodramatic performance with the radio. I still notice him at WW matches occasionally.

• Spotted a few of the 'old faces' at Solihull

• Im pretty sure it was the same season that i saw the same 'Tubby Gooner' catch an unfortunate one off a Dulwich Hamlet fan.
    The fella just ambled up the vast terracing at Champion Hill and planted one on 'TG's rosy chops, what seemed like a few seconds stunned silence, the Dulwich Hamlet fan appeared to help TG to his feet and then say "Sorry mate, mistaked identidy".

• Top Pictures as ever @NewburyWanderer. Have you any from the 86/87 games in Trophy?

• @M3G Sorry, no. None of the home one, didn't make the replay.

• Don't remember seeing us play Billericay before but I'm guessing we must have done. When did we last play them and how many ex top flight players were in their team then?

• I saw a Declan Link goal give us victory at New Lodge in 1985, All i can remember was the pitch was a mud heap, with barely a blade of grass, we played in yellow and they played in Navy Blue shirts and white shorts.
    We were in the same league as Billericay for four seasons in the early 80's.

• Amazing knowledge @ChasHarps

• Billericay seemed a long way to go for a league match in those days

• Was a very basic ground, even for Isthmian standards at the time. They had come up off the back of doing well in the Vase over a period of a few years, had built up a reasonable level of support, but the ground was still little more than a field in the middle of the Essex flatlands.

• C'mon Leatherhead!

• I rememeber a few members of the 'warm beer,liced beard brigade' nearly jizzing on their sandals, as the New Lodge clubhouse stocked Samuel Smith's beer.
    Strange how somethings stick in you mind !!

• Hey! no way did I wear sandals back then! (The rest probably isn't far short of the mark)