Skip to content

Local derbies this coming week

If you're interested in watching some midweek football locally, there are a couple of interesting local derbies in prospect:

Monday 23rd October (k.o. 7.45)
Southern League East Division

Beaconsfield Town v Aylesbury FC

Tuesday 24th October (k.o. 7.45)
Southern League East Division

Marlow v Thame United

Hellenic League Premier Division

Burnham v Windsor FC

Also, in the Southern League Premier Division on Tuesday Banbury United take on Chesham United and Slough Town entertain Gosport Borough.

Comments

• Monday full-time:
    Beaconsfield Town 0 Aylesbury FC 3

• Tuesday night results:

Banbury United 1 Chesham United 1
    (Jefferson Louis for Banbury)
    Slough Town 5 Gosport Borough 1

Marlow 3 Thame United 1
    Uxbridge 0 Chalfont St Peter 2

Also.....
    Ashford Town (Middx) 10 Fleet Town 0

• I saw Jefferson Louis playing for Banbury United two weeks ago, in the 1-0 Southern Premier home defeat to Hereford. He’s now 38 and his signing for The Puritans this season is something like his 38th move. Hereford kept him pretty quiet, he still has power and some speed, and he spent the match mostly dealing with long balls. He scored a goal in each of the team’s first eight games this season and now has 12 goals, not bad for an oldie.

That Ashford result was helped by a Fleet sending off after 20 minutes, and it’s only 4 years since Ashford’s last 10-0 league win. Some odd results, given that high flying Ashford tamely lost 3-0 at Westy’s Thame at the weekend (son Dan a scorer), and second from bottom Fleet had a good 2-0 win over Marlow. Aylesbury FC are flying after a poor start, three league wins in a row now. Creaser’s Aylesbury United are just above the relegation places.

Good to see Slough top, after years of “we all f**king hate Slough” (I really miss that chant), I hope they get up into the National League. They've scored a remarkable 43 goals in 14 league games. There are some good teams in that division, not least King's Lynn who have signed our nemesis Grant Holt, who scored on Tuesday on his first start in the 2-1 win over Stortford. Former Canary Simon Lappin has also signed.

• 38 year old Louis is nothing compared to Chesham's 43 year old Scott McGleish up front. Believe he came off the bench last night but has started most of their recent games. Unfortunately hasn't had much of an impact as of yet.

• At 81 Dickie Borthwick appears to be the oldest regular player in this country, this is the latest link I can find on him:
    https://afefootballnews.wordpress.com/2017/08/22/a-spotlight-on-dickie-borthwick-britains-oldest-footballer/

• How did he slip through the net?

• We’re probably scouting him as you speak @micra