Skip to content

Match day thread: Exeter

2»

Comments

• @HCblue said:
    Apart from winning away today and three of their last five, Aylesburyblue? :-)

Those wins were all away though weren't they?

• The Stewart goal at the end didn't look a foul at the time, even less so now. Also the 2nd half back post chance that Bayo shanked wide looks worse than I remembered at the time.
    Disappointed not to win, 2pts dropped possibly, but it was an excellent performance. Exeter are no mugs and we could easily have won today.
    Gape, Bean and CMS best players for me, although everyone had a good game.
    Apart from the result it was a really good afternoon.

• @HCblue clear clear push by Bayo on the 6, Id get to specsavers if I was you.

• Wasn't a foul looking at the highlights Exeter got lucky

• Ref had a poor one I thought.....we were superb the football we play now is so good to watch loving it, got a bit of everything on the floor, hoofball when needed and total commitment in the tackle (sido's tackle was a cracker we heard it in the woodlands) el abd blocking there chance with his face summed us up in one move.

• The ref blew before Stewart hit the ball. I think it was for Bayo's left handed push on the no6 as they ran into the box.

• @robin said:
    Those wins were all away though weren't they?

Not won at home for 6 matches

• yes blantant two handed push on 6 Tillson is why it was disallowed.

• @rmjlondon said:
    HCblue clear clear push by Bayo on the 6, Id get to specsavers if I was you.

Yes foul for me on the number 6.

• Respectfully disagree with both @rmjlondon and @Aylesburyblue and suggest a rewatching of the video. The 6 was clearly moving into Bayo's path with no intention to play or shield the ball (as happens all the time, including by us, but nonetheless, wholly illegitimate). Textbook case of obstruction.

From Law 12:

"Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent." The penalty for this is an indirect free kick.

All Bayo did was maintain his run at the ball and attempt to get past the obstructing player. It was the opponent who was guilty of foul play, if anyone was.

• Really enjoyed the game today. I love how well drilled we seemed to be. I thought we played a good pressing game and tried to disrupt and close them down high up the pitch. We really mixed up the play so well with some great passing moves as well as the balls into Bayo. Exeter were a good side who and we just couldn't get that yard of space we needed to get a few more shots away. If we had nicked a win I don't think they could have had too many complaints. One of the best games in terms of overall quality I remember seeing in this division.

Eze was a pleasure to watch. A couple of times he threaded a couple of passes through when he looked backed into a corner. Enjoyed watching Nick Freeman run at them in the second half. There were a couple of crosses he go which were just begging for more of our players in the box but Bayo left on his own.

• Doesn't look like a foul to me, just two players trying to run in the same place and one coming off better. But then if i were an Exeter fan I'd probably think there was just about enough there to justify a foul...

• My only slight niggle was not trying to keep possession more regularly.

I get that we play a direct style, and can play it well on the floor at times, but with Eze in the middle it was just screaming to move it along the deck and to him all the time.

He's such a calm, creative force, that our main tactic should be: pass Eze the ball.

• Yeah Eze was barely involved in the 1st half, but I thought we got him on the ball much more in the 2nd. It was just the last 5 minutes we resorted back to the long ball to Bayo, which was understandable and very nearly got us a winner.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Really enjoyable match. Great performances from all, possibly with the exception of Sido who was a bit off it at times but still decent. Both sides looked dangerous but the defending was top notch throughout. JJ was my MOTM - absolutely magnificent and clearly our best left back of contemporary times.

As mentioned before. Bayo might have had three on another day - just one of those sadly. I was glad to see Reid get subbed for them - he looked dangerous.

And nice to see / hear just over 5,000 at AP - makes a big difference to the atmosphere (as does the type of football we’re playing at the moment).

• @a40 said:
    The ref blew before Stewart hit the ball. I think it was for Bayo's left handed push on the no6 as they ran into the box.

As much as i hate to admit it the ref was correct there,had that been our defender we'd be shouting out for a foul.

• Considering our list of injured players, we played very well and really should have won. Our style of play is now a pleasure to watch. Exeter were a good side but we have nothing to be afraid of in this league.