Skip to content

Pub Watch - Favourites, Essentials, Condemned, Much Missed, Matchday experiences.

13»

Comments

• I was in there last summer, fair bit of football memorabillia in the Bat & Ball, especially Chelsea. A few years ago a certain Mr Noel Gallagher used to use it evidentally.
    I see that Planning permision for homes,has gone in for the Fire fly in Bourne End.

• The homes on the Firefly site are already well on the way. Perhaps they are seeking to change the original plan in some way.

• A bit further afield, but possibly of interest to the gig going fraternity here, I found this advert for the opening month of Nottingham's legendary live music dive, Rock City in 1980. A pretty strong opening line up (although Hinkley's Heroes don't ring any bells with me).

Check out the prices though - £2.50 for the Bunnymen equates to about £7 if you put RPI inflation on the ticket price. I always wondered how I used to afford to go to so many gigs on my YTS wages - clearly another thing that was cheap back then that isn't now.

Perhaps we should gloss over the retrospectively sinister Xmas eve show. Let us pray that the 'special guest' was not a certain DJ...

Opening line up at Rock City Nottingham

• Is there any chance of two separate discussion threads, one on pubs and one on music? I understand the overlap, and many will find both interesting, but they are really different topics. Its quite a leap from the Jolly Angler pub to Rock City.

• Lots of talk on here about closed pubs. The pub trade is difficult, not least because of the pub companies having little interest in pubs and more interest in the potential of sites for redevelopment. Although there are pubs that I don't drink in, each serves a function for different types of people, any pub can change over time and less pubs means less diversity. With this in mind there is a petition launched to stop flats being built in place of Scorpios ( aka the White Lion). May be worth signing. https://www.change.org/p/no-to-flats-at-scorpios

• @Baldric Well done for putting this up. As you say Our Pubs are our heritage, no matter what they are, and who they suit.

By the way this is one of my all time favourite websites. The pub section is fascinating. I have been in quite a few of these in my lifetime.

http://www.derelictlondon.com/pubs.html

• M3GM3G
    edited April 2015

http://www.cooperstavern.co.uk/

A very welcome addition to the drinking guide yesterday for our band of 15.

• Agreed M3G, a cracking pub, up there with my all time favourite boozers

• M3GM3G
    edited April 2016

@drcongo I thought there was sort of one somewhere, This thread has few decent ale houses, so not sure but can you move the thread into the Away day pubs category ?

• @m3g Done. I think.

• @M3G Those pictures of The Jolly Angler at the top of this thread take me back. I have some good, albeit very hazy, memories of that place from when I was a student in Manchester back in the early '80s. I recall it was well off the beaten track, in an area which, at that time, seemed mainly comprised of decrepit old factory and warehouse buildings. The landlord at the time, in addition to selling the brewery's beers, used to sell some other unnamed ale that I believe he brewed himself. I have no idea what the OG of that stuff was, but it only took a couple of pints to turn brains into mush!

• M3GM3G
    edited April 2016

@Uncle_T Well its certainly changed now in the area, I remember the secenry that you refer to as my first visit would have been late 80's, its surprisingly close to the busy hub of Piccadilly station, but just far away to feel completely deserted. Those old factories with the canals underneath are now either posh converted flats and hotels or Student accommodation. In fact the only original untouched bit is a few houses you can see in the 2nd picture. I tried to get a pint on Saturday on my way home from York but sadly didn't have enough time between my connection.
    Anyone who enjoys a rarity like this, a true back street local, completely untouched since probably the 1950's, with original fittings, its in a bit of disrepair and only one bar is used now, complete with Coal fire and wonderful Hydes beer. Long may it survive.

• I was in the Three Tuns Friday and Saturday, thankfully the pace hasnt really changed at all since changing back from the Hobgoblin. Welcome & very cheap beer including ales under £2 a pint made it very popular and busy.

• Last I heard the Half Moon has sadly closed down. I don't live in Wycombe so would be happy to hear I'm wrong

• When I drove past the Half Moon on Sunday evening it looked pretty dead, couldn't quite tell whether it was actually open for business or not (a rare occasion that I wasn't held on the lights there!)

Hopefully the re-named Three Tuns won't stray too far from how the erstwhile Hobgoblin was - it was one of the few pubs that had an 'alternative' edge to it, and usually quite good ale on (without trying flog that overpriced 'craft' hipster hop juice) and half decent music. I had many a good evening in there and in the beer garden over the years, hopefully it won't have turned into a Yates-lite sort of place by the time I'm back for a night on the lash in the Chair Metropolis.

• @arnos_grove as a Nottingham lad I remember the thrill of having a proper live city centre music venue opening....(this was before Wiggy Elton John opened the Royal Centre I recall) and not having to travel to bloody Leicester De Montford Hall to see anyone anyone had heard of. I saw Squeeze, OMD, U2, Big Country, Echo and the Bunnymen and Teardrop Explodes at Rock City. Great times. I can only assume Hinkley Heroes were a turn from Birmingham???

• I was at Rock City in Nottingham a year ago for a sold out gig featuring Ferocious Dog, Mad Dog Mccrea and Gaz Brookfield. Fine night it was too. Bands most people haven't heard of give a fine night out too, often better than the big boys, and then will join you in the bar for a pint and a chat too.

• @Wendoverman said:
    arnos_grove as a Nottingham lad I remember the thrill of having a proper live city centre music venue opening....(this was before Wiggy Elton John opened the Royal Centre I recall) and not having to travel to bloody Leicester De Montford Hall to see anyone anyone had heard of. I saw Squeeze, OMD, U2, Big Country, Echo and the Bunnymen and Teardrop Explodes at Rock City. Great times. I can only assume Hinkley Heroes were a turn from Birmingham???

It's a quality venue for a gig. Plenty of perches for short people. Very wide but not that deep so you're close to the action. And Not branded as an O2 academy to boot. Plus the PA is pretty mighty - took me at least 3 days to recover full hearing use after Ride's gig there last year.

• Last active 15 February 2015 but still in the land of the living. Posted on the Fans Facebook page yesterday and believed to have been heading in a north-north-easterly direction. We've missed you Eddie.

• Who remembers the long lost Globe in White Hart Street.
    Real spit and sawdust where food choices were cheese roll or ham roll.
    Regular haunt for all the Irish navvies building the Octagon Centre in the sixties.

• The Globe. What year did that shut? I can remember it but only as a child? I was a regular in the White Harte as a youngster (under age) Loved that pub . That closed in 80 - 81? Is that right? Ended up as the Pizza hut I think?

• 22 years since I left Wycombe and this town made me feel very nostalgic.

love the reminiscing over the old Wycombe boozers from the days when there were probably twice as many open.

My favourites from the 80s/90s were The Falcon for a few before going to Tuesday's - my first regular nightclub.

The Bull - rough as a badger's arse - these type of pubs just don't exist anymore - you could see a fight here on a weekday dinnertime if you were (un)lucky ! - between women (once!)

Hour Glass - my old local and and much better when it had two bars (and as was customary in most 2 bar pubs beer was 2p more expensive in the lounge) - I remember chatting to an old regular in there in the late '80s who was then in his 90s and had been drinking there since the 1920s when it opened! - once all day drinking came in 1988 our all day crawl was from here to Jolly Bodger to Half Moon to Saracen's Head to White Horse and then wherever.

Red Cross Knight - I was too young for the era when someone on here mentioned punks used to go in but by the time I was out drinking in Wycombe from about 1982 (about a year before it shut) this had got to the stage where the big rasta would be on the door and if you were white you could only really go in if you were buying drugs. People were taking heroin in the toilets by then and it was the discarded syringes in the bogs among other things that meant it eventually lost its licence.

Ye Exchange - Saturday nights: old geezers with sometimes incongruously a reggae disco!

George V on London Road for breakfast on the way home from raves when they used to open at about 8 for a bit - you could get a beer there too at that time.

The Gate - always bit grim but an easy way to Loakes Park at 5 to 3!

Ninepins, Hazlemere - one of the places where you could always find out telephone numbers to ring to find out where the illegal Acid house parties were around the M25 in 1988/89.

Makes me want to come back for a wander now but then I remember last time I was down and had a drink in the town centre it seemed to be all massive chain pubs so maybe not.

• I went out for a while with a girl whose dad was the landlord of the Van (which would have been somewhere near where Sainsbury’s is now) Utterly horrible pub and he never so much as gave me a half pint.