Skip to content

Our Attack

We have an embarrassment of riches at the moment. We're the top scorers in the EFL (joint with Man City, Hull, and P'boro). I can't really believe this is Wycombe.

With a fully fit squad, my front three would be Bayo, CMS, and Kashket (on last season's form). Amazingly, that would still leave Tyson, PCH, Umerah, and Freeman to step in from the bench if needed, and I would be happy with any of them on the pitch. That's without even considering Southwell who I think will be out the door. Or Eze and Saunders who are both attacking midfielders. Our squad depth in attack is off the charts.

Comments

• Definitely a far cry from the pre-season hullabaloo about the lack of signings.

Encouraging signs.

• Brilliant attacking play all round, if Eze can stay on his feet with the attention of defenders her will rise to the top level. Sam was the better of the two for my money Saturday but when fit why not play them both.

Goals well spread with all attacking players having got off the mark now (bar Eze bizarrely enough) and the chances coming thick and fast. Long may it continue!

• It is all rather exciting. To me at this point there are simply no worries about attack - we are going to score goals, period. If we can keep clean sheets or concede a single goal a game, it is going to be rather scary for the rest of the division.

• Have we scored many goals without Akinfenwa? I’m sure we’re capable of it but that remains a concern.

• I'd say he's no.1 in the list of players we don't want to be without

• Him & Brown, certainly.

• Bayo has played in 9 of our 11 league games this season. The 2 he missed both finished 0-0... @Chris

• It's a worrying statistic whilst kashket is still out.

• Bear in mind that we were also without Tyson and Saunders in those two games.

• @Chris actually Brown would be the least concerning (unless it happened in a game, obviously) since we'd be able to replace him with a loan signing

• We would, but are there any guarantees of getting a good one?

• Presumably Ainsworth has someone lined up already and every goalkeeper he has brought in on loan has been at least fine. But still...

• The correlation is that Bayo is great in attack, and crap in defence. We only score when he plays, and only keep a clean sheet when he doesn't.

• @Chris I'm fairly confident we'd get one in as good as Brown? How good do you think he is?

Anyway, hope we won't need to obviously

• I’d say he’s an above average league 2 keeper. He’s not Blackman but then very few goalkeepers are. Without having seen a great deal of him, probably somewhere between Nikki Bull and Frank Talia.

I reckon he’s also better than the average loanee we’d bring in - probably not as naturally talented but with far more experience.

• I'm not one to get carried away, and I agree he's not Blackman, but, have we actually seen an opposition keeper better than Brown this season? Or at least better than he's started to play once he'd settled? I'm hard pressed to think of one. His performance at Colchester was outstanding, and he kept us in the game early on on Saturday.

• We're lucky to have him, given the chicanery pre season and I hope any resentment he may have felt at the time has now been dissipated.

• Now this gets more interesting.

• I believe the Mansfield keeper played a blinder. Or was it Newport’s? (Or both). But I’d go along with the ‘Brown’s as good as I was originally expecting’ brigade

• Without a full pre-season and with so few game opportunities for Kashket this season could be a write-off before it even begins for the lad. Shame all round to say the least but was it always going to be too much for him to recreate last season. Amazing considering he was the one player we were all pinning our season on. Now he's a bonus.

• @bookertease said:
    I believe the Mansfield keeper played a blinder. Or was it Newport’s? (Or both). But I’d go along with the ‘Brown’s as good as I was originally expecting’ brigade

Newport's keeper pulled off a couple of cracking saves. On any other day We would have won that.

• @bookertease said:
    I believe the Mansfield keeper played a blinder. Or was it Newport’s? (Or both). But I’d go along with the ‘Brown’s as good as I was originally expecting’ brigade

Both were excellent and rightly got MOTM in their respective games. Brown also pulled off some great saves in both too mind you, especially at Newport. I don't think I've enjoyed a 0-0 as much as that one for a long time.