Skip to content

Akinfenwa - 2 more years please!

Amongst a host of excellent performances today (Bean, Stewart, Harriman, El Abd, Brown), Bayo was an absolute colossus up front.

He gave two decent centre halves a physical and footballing challenge they simply couldn't meet.

What a player he is.

If I was Gareth Ainsworth and Andrew Howard I'd be getting a new 2 and a half year contract in from of him to take him through to the end of the 2019/20 season.

At his age a decent contract taking him through to the age of 38 (in May 2020) would surely be very attractive. Particularly as it helps underpin his off-field commercial activity too.

That might sound like a risk for Wycombe given his age but I'd take that risk every day - especially given how fit he is. He's so crucial to the way we play and would be so hard to replace that we should pin him down now.

Beyond that he's a fantastic asset to the club, a leader and inspiration to the other players in the dressing room, as well as an absolute credit to himself.

Comments

• Get the sentiments mate, but that'd be a fairly mad thing to do!

Let's see how the season progresses and if he's performing well, some sort of offer in spring seems more likely. Only for a year though. Max!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yep it's bold I admit, but for me the biggest risk is letting it drift and possibly losing him. He's so totally crucial to the way we play that we should act now to mitigate that possibility.

At the minute we have first mover advantage so get him tied down by the end of the calendar year before others start approaching him or Bayo himself starts considering other options (both footballing and non-footballing).

its not without risk but in all honesty It's one I think we should take.

• look what happened with Hayes, his legs suddenly went and we prob paid off a fair whack of his final year contract not something we should do again with any player even Bayo.
    He is loved here and will know the score that come February another year maximum will be on the table should he still be playing well.

• The question is, would Bayo want to play week in week out in League 1 if we were to get promoted?

At this stage of his career I’m sure he is really enjoying playing against league 2 defenders and I think he’d be happy carrying on for at least a couple of years.

A division higher though and he would (presumably) have to work a lot harder to stand still. At 36/37 do you think he’d really want that?

But personally I’d be happy to see him sign on for another season now.

• I think the point re Paul Hayes is a fair one to make but I'm not sure it's a good comparison.

Bayo is a much, much fitter man than Hayes who relishes staying at the peak of physical fitness.

Also, even if his legs were to "go" to some degree at some stage, we'd still get decent value from him off the bench in a way we couldn't with Hayes.

• Year on year would be fine.

• Lets stay calm we have won 3 games in a week nothing has been achieved yet but I would fancy us to make the Top 3 if we can tighten up at the back.

• I'm not sure what length contract cms is on, but I'd tie him down he's class and still has fantastic pace...worlds apart from the player I watched for luton

• CMS is under contract for this one season. I would imagine if he continues in this vein of form an extension may be offered in January?

• @rmjlondon said:
    look what happened with Hayes, his legs suddenly went and we prob paid off a fair whack of his final year contract not something we should do again with any player even Bayo.
    He is loved here and will know the score that come February another year maximum will be on the table should he still be playing well.

I agree 100% with Richie!

• @rmjlondon the hayes comparison is ridiculous. Hayes had a long term Achilles problem that was being managed long before he signed his new contract.

• Yes but his knee could suddenly go and he is carrying an injury currently anyway.

• Can't believe it, but I find myself agreeing with @rmjlondon. Bayo is in the "autumn" years of his career and any thoughts of a 2 year extension would be financial madness, unless some form of "injury caveats" could be included?

• I agree if CMS and Bayo are still playing at this level In January lets do 1 year extentions then, Joe Jacobson is the player we should be offering 2 years too right now !!

• Jacobson was magnificent again yesterday wasn't he?

• He was apart from letting there player cut inside for there goal.....he seems to win every header no matter what, surely the best full back in the league?

• I wonder if Josh could be a permanent long term replacement to Bayo, he showed his strength and hold up play against Barnets giants is good and has got pace to run at players.......

• I think that if Bayo is happy he will stay. Contract regardless. GA and AH obviously give him latitude to manage his life outside football so long as he is performing at the club. Some other managers and clubs may not give that latitude and Bayo I’m sure knows that. At the moment it’s a great fit for all.
    It’s a similar arrangement to Simon Garner. A pint and smoke pre game under O’Neil and goals galore. Smith comes in and tries to change things and it all goes South.

• My god Bayo - amongst all number of others - was brilliant today.

Three assists and a significant hand in the other goal.

We really cannot take the risk that he might choose to leave at the end of the season. He won’t be short of offers.

Get a two year extension under his nose now before other clubs start getting in his ear. We’ve far more to lose from him leaving than we have from promising him another two years’ money.

• It wouldn’t surprise me if one, two or three of Bayo, CMS and Tyson have a clause in their contracts giving them an extra year if they play a certain amount of games or score a certain amount of goals, similar to Sam Wood’s a couple of season ago.

Bayo is simply a joy, fantastic piss taking retweet too.

• I think we should give Richie another year. I know he tends to play a negative game and he's been a bit quiet the last few weeks, but he turns up now and again and makes a contribution. I think Bayo believes he should have been up in League One with the dons so he will want to stick around one more season at least if we get up.

• For those of us not of a tweeting disposition, could you reveal the content of the Beast’s “re-tweet” please? Sounds fascinating.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I think we should give Richie another year. I know he tends to play a negative game and he's been a bit quiet the last few weeks, but he turns up now and again and makes a contribution. I think Bayo believes he should have been up in League One with the dons so he will want to stick around one more season at least if we get up.

It’s typical of the club that we’ve had total silence from them on Richie’s recent absence. Is it long term? Can we expect to see him warming up soon? Has he ‘personal problems’? I demand we are informed

• Richie is still under house arrest.

• Thanks @arnos_grove. The Dutchman certainly was rather beastly.
    Yes, @StrongestTeam. Quite a week for Da Real Beast; GA said he was not fully fit. Heaven help the opposition when he is!

• I’m of a certain age where a lot of social media things simply pass me by. But I was looking at a recent Instagram post by Bayo and was wondering what people made of the a or b question he posted. Does it suggest a further commitment to us ?

• Ainsworth chats shit with regards to fitness of players or injuries and its boring, if we don't finish in the Top 7 he will have massively underachieved.