Skip to content

The Opposition View - Crewe

Comments

• We've had some interesting comments on these opposition views over the years, but Artell claiming that Crewe were the better side last night is truly next-level stuff.

Good to see that the comments from their fans are much more realistic though.

• Agreed about Artell - epically one-eyed.

That said, I thought some of the fans were a little harsh on their team. While Wycombe had the greater threat over the game, I thought Crewe defended very well for most of the game. Their number 6 played Bayo extremely cleverly and effectively and they cleared their lines strongly. A win for us was definitely a more than fair outcome, but they showed plenty of guts, I thought.

• I thought Crewe were a good passing team, but that doesn't always reap rewards in a physical League 2. Much like last season where they tried to play slick, passing, attacking football and got mullered for it.

• @HCblue Their number six, for the first time this season, pretty much nullified Bayo. However the last 10 minutes he started to give him space and he started to win more and more balls and this gave us momentum. I am sure Bayo will be disappointed not to have scored at least one of the chances afforded to him last night especially the header right at the end.

• The number six was the highly experienced Michael Raynes. His previous clubs include Carlisle, Mansfield and Oxford.

• Even if Bayo doesn't have a good game, he is still causing the opposition to put their best defender on him resulting in his fellow strikers having more room.

• I didn't think Bayo was anywhere near match fit last night. Great resolve to see him on the pitch where others would have withdrawn but he did seem a shadow of his normal self.

• It wasn't just number 6. Bayo kept being sandwiched between two players which was clearly a tactic and worked for large spells from a Crewe perspective.

It makes it all the more heartening that we had so much attacking threat from other options and weren't just relying on the long ball to Bayo tactic last night. Probably Akinfenwa's least effective performance of the season, but we are still looking at a win, 3 goals and numerous other chances created from various sources.

• Ainsworth all but confirmed in his post match comments that Bayo wasn't fully fit last night.

He was still highly effective in the key areas and should have scored at least one to go with his key role in two of the goals.

• Obviously even having an ineffective threat like Bayo in the middle drags defenders away which frees up the wings somewhat. So they either try and stop Tyson and CMS and risk the big man sticking one in...or hang onto Bayo and risk goals like last night. Excellent stuff.

• If he can get through Saturday, we're back to 1 game a week for the 2 weeks after.
    Hopefully that revitalises him

We'll probably have to start resting him every so often. Back to how we used him at the start of last season before realising he was by far the key man!
    Still remember hiom starting in the checkatrade! Won't be doing that this year unless we get very far!

• @Wendoverman. I think you are being a little harsh in describing Bayo as an ineffective threat last night. He was involved in the build up to all three goals, and had a header cleared off the line. Not bad for a night when the defence supposedly kept him quiet.

• @bluenotes , good post. I think a lot of us are guilty at times of forgetting key incidents!
    And if that was a team keeping him well under control, i'd hate to see a team who have no answer :)

• Surely you'd love to see a team which had no answer to Bayo @Malone. Barnet for example.

• @bluenotes You're right poor choice of words, what I meant was, as others had pointed out, he was not his usual self but still posed enough of a bother to occupy defenders. I would never disrespect the big man.

• @Wendoverman I don't think anyone would dare to disrespect the big man. :)