Skip to content

10 game review

hi all,

I was wondering if you could help me. I am going to be doing the League One 10 game review podcast next week even though it is after 11 games :) and would like your opinions:

Who has been your best player thus far?

Who has been your most surprising player?

How have you done against your expectation?

Have a listen to our week 9 review here http://d3d4football.com/d3d4-football-podcast-episode-11-week-9-review/

thanks
James
D3D4

Comments

• Most surprising against expectations, getting into Lg1 (apparently)

• Best player Jacobson. No real surprises as yet. Played better than expectations and unlucky not to have got more results so far this year.

• Best player Joe Jacobson. Fantastic player at this level and the left back in my all time Wycombe XI

Scott Brown, a goalkeeper who spent last season on loan at Cheltenham surprised most of his with his early season performances, and not in a good way. But he's put it behind him to turn in some solid performances including a couple of clean sheets at tricky looking away games and some excellent saves to preserve 3 points at bitter enemies Colchester Utd. Always nice to see a person battling through adversity and come out the other side. The way he celebrated at the end on Saturday with fans who were singing his name with genuine affection was heartwarming stuff.

We're pretty much where I expected us to be, in and around the play off places. I predicted we would get promotion this season before it started and nothing I have seen from us or our opponents has changed my mind. If anything, I'm a little bit more confident now.

• edited September 2017

Jacobson and Stewart for me...Brown growing in confidence. More adventurous football this season (despite the moans of opposition managers and our resident Ghosts at the Feast) with a few more goals and still more to come from our ancient front line I'm hoping. Only two losses so far with only one of them seeing us soundly beaten. So far so good.

• I agree that Jacobson is our stand-out player. I have high hopes for Mackail-Smith, especially now he's got his first goal. Most surprising - not in a good way - has been el Abd, who seems to have been slow to adapt to lower league football. As to expectations, about right for now, though I'd have expected our current points total to put us higher than 10th, and there are some clubs above us whose performance so far has been a genuine surprise.

• The Beast is stand out player for me as he was last season. We really struggle when he is not playing. Agree with others that Jacobson has had an excellent season to date. No real surprise this season, although Bean has shown himself to be a better all round midfielder rather than just someone who broke up play as he was last season.

We are about where I expected us to be in the League.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Can’t argue with any of the above. In addition the real positives for me have been the return to form of Harriman and Gape.

Happy with our league position/closeness to top, happier with the brand of football we have (mostly) played this season.

Surprise was Paul Hayes realising his body can’t cope any more at this level and choosing (hopefully) to leave. A shame, remembering his qualities, but a plus in how all parties seemed to manage it

• edited September 2017

Agree about Hayes, @bookertease. Hopefully, as you say, it was a mutual realisation that he didn't have what was needed anymore. His release has made it a bit easier to pick the best team and, also like you, I am enjoying the football this season.

Before the season started, I thought we should probably have enough to challenge for the playoffs again, though I did not feel we had grounds to expect to do significantly better than last season, given the departure of Pierre and Blackman. Now that we've signed Mackail-Smith - who I think is brilliant and gives us a substantial threat to complement Bayo - and it has transpired that Pierre leaving has meant we play out from the back much more effectively, I think we are capable of challenging for automatic promotion. Given the apparent evenness of the league, I would think it a bit of an underachievement if we did not at least get to the playoffs now.

• @HCblue we'd have Pierre back in a heartbeat though.

• I agree, but right now there are more pluses to his departure than I saw coming.

• @HCblue that’s pretty much exactly how I see things

• cheers for these guys, yeah meant League Two, we are doing one for each Division, I like O'Nien think he is a great player.
    Keep an eye out for the podcasts coming prob next Monday. Subscribe in iTunes then you won't miss them :)

James