Skip to content

Playing with passion and determination

edited September 2017 in Football

I'm in the US this week and currently watching (on TV) a college women's "soccer" match between University of Kentucky and Tennessee. The passion and determination of all involved is plain to see. Every single player on the pitch is giving it everything they've got to try to win the match, which makes it quite thrilling to watch. If Wycombe played with the same passion every week then we'ld all be going home exhausted just from watching it. Not sure our current crop of players could last the pace, though.

Comments

• Surely you can not doubt the commitment & passion our current squad puts in every week?

• Undoubtedly the two traits of the current squad that are beyond doubt.

• That is one criticism you cannot make of our team

• Interested in what you'd consider to be 'passion and determination' @Uncle_T
    For you to mention it you must think it's missing whereas I agree with the other posters and have never doubted either aspect in any Ainsworth led side.

Why do you think it is missing?

• Perhaps @Uncle_T has in mind the fact that, in most matches, we have injected so much commitment and passion into our first half performances that we run out of steam during the last 20-30 minutes. Older players, such as MattBloomfield,
    tend to be most vulnerable in that respect and on Saturday I thought there was a strong case for bringing on Ebere Eze. It also seemed logical that, with the aerial bombardment from Luton during the last quarter of an hour, the height and composure of Dan Scarr might have helped to save the day.

• After Gape and Bayo had to be replaced after injuries, you still wanted to bring on both Eze and Scarr to close out the game. Do you not see a potential flaw to your cunning plan?

• Yes I do! You don't have to be there to be on the ball, Dev.
    I actually thought Ebere should have replaced Don Gape. But the latter certainly hadn't run out of steam. It was a self-inflicted injury caused by an incredibly committed (and fair) block tackle.

• Dom Gape.

• I agree with you on the fitness issue @micra . Our game style is hard work on all the players and fatigue is an issue on performance and injury risk. Ainsworth's preference for experience over youth and loyalty over the new doesn't help this either.
    Having said all that though I'm sure in the early Ainsworth period we had a proud record of not conceding goals in the last 10 mins of games. That's certainly not the case now so what has changed? Are the players fit enough or can they ever be fit enough to play this style of football. We are only in September too so tiredness will only get worse.

• New nickname for Gape - The Godfather

• We play with plenty of passion and commitment. We've just lacked some quality in the final finish recently, and had a little bit of a bad luck.

• @bill_stickers said:
    We play with plenty of passion and commitment. We've just lacked some quality in the final finish recently, and had a little bit of a bad luck.

What you say is undeniably true but the second half fade has been a constant occurrence.

• I'd argue because they commit so much in the first half. Poor subs are also at play there.

• My sentiments exactly@bill_stickers. Please see my earlier post (yesterday) on this thread.

• @micra said:
    My sentiments exactly @bill_stickers. Please see my earlier post (yesterday) on this thread.

• Oh cobblers. Why can I not work the edit function on this bitten apple thingy.

• @micra said:
    What you say is undeniably true but the second half fade has been a constant occurrence.

But not by all accounts at Newport?

• Momentum maintained?

• nor at Mansfield

• Not much support for Momentum in Mansfield - Tory gain.

• The Mansfield electoral calculation is pretty much ‘who has the best chance of winning + has promised to keep foreigners at bay’.

And by foreigners, I mean anyone not born outside of the district council boundary.

• Albanians and Bulgarians would, I feel, regard Mansfield as Vienna.

• having been to Bulgaria and Mansfield I can tell you which one I prefer.

• Has it got a Greggs @floyd ?

• Or 50p heroin shitburgers?

• Aren't they supporting Fat White Family on tour?