Skip to content

The Opposition View - Forest Green Rovers

Comments

• I can see us losing every away game this season. Our home form is going to vitally important.

It's the same game home and away isn't it?

• @Chris have you only just started watching football?

• Home games are so much more difficult. Well they have been for Wycombe in recent seasons. Remarkable how many away wins are clocked up in League 2 although there were only four yesterday.
    The pundit in mrs micra's 'paper predicts 11 draws and one home win (Accrington) next Saturday. Very odd.

• Strange comments from their manager, as if football is either 100% keep ball passing in all circumstances, or just 100% long ball aimless oafery, with no middle ground.

He seems to have missed that you might be able to boss it at a lower level stroking it around senselessly, with your keeper thinking he's some kind of Beckenbauer esque don, but chances are you'll get a few drubbings when trying that style against better teams.

I don't think I've ever heard such ole chants for a team misplacing passes!

• Feel for the fans as the manager is deluded. His tactic with keeper playing it out from the back was an accident waiting to happen, and did.
    As for the snide remarks about our style we played em off the pitch to feet in the first half. Selective memory when it comes to how wide forwards were left in so much space they must have thought it was a hygiene problem. Also for a whack or team as we are described our centre half played like Beckenbaur on more than more occasion
    Sorry Cooper your club deserves better.

• Forest Green Rovers' tactics were very strange in the first half. They seemed like they'd been working on passing the ball around the back three and keeper and were determined to try it out in the game. Problem was that they could rarely find a pass on into midfield and were prone to either giving up, and punting the ball hopefully towards one of forwards, or passing it straight into the path of one of our players. It had the feel of a training exercise of the 1st team v the youth team - mens v boys stuff.
    Cooper's more than welcome to take the moral high ground that his defenders and keeper unconvincingly play half-heated passes to each other in their own half before launching it aimlessly upfield when they get bored, but I'm sure Ainsworth was hardly crying into his cornflakes reading those comments in the papers this morning with all three points under his arm.

In comparison, when we got on the ball we were looking for the pass forward early on (not a euphemism for the fallback of horsing it up the pitch at every opportunity that we have been guilty of all too often over the past two seasons) and had some idea of what we were knocking the ball to. We showed some nous to improvise a way past their midfield and backline that would have impressed all but the most scathing of critics of Ainsworth's style of play.

• I assumed the tactic was to draw us into chasing the ball to create space for the killer pass. As we didn't really bite on it, it all fell apart for them. Did they play like that last year? I can't see it working in league 2.

• if Mark Cooper was made of chocolate he would eat himself !!

• If I was made of chocolate, I'd eat myself. It's that or melt in the first hot spell. Rather go out with a smile on my face.

• If you were made of chocolate, would you be able to eat yourself? Your teeth would be made of chocolate too.

• I'd get dentures.

• Its a saying u bell end !!

• @rmjlondon - In your limited vocabulary, is a bell end inferior to a tosser?

• a saying u bell end belonging to what?

• I used to think @rmjlondon was a bit daft, but he's actually raising some interesting points to debate here.

You wouldn't be able to completely eat yourself of course, as you wouldn't be able to eat your own head. Also, you'd presumably die from chocolattey blood loss before you got more than halfway through your body.

Then again, if you were COMPLETELY made of chocolate, your chocolate brain and lungs would no doubt immediately cease to function, so sadly you'd be dead before you could even take a bite. Or would you just have chocolate skin and muscle (maybe skeleton) with normal internal organs. Then you could go (fruit and) nuts.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of just plain chocolate by itself, It just gloops in your mouth. I prefer chocolate with something extra in it, like a Snickers or something. In fact, if I were made of Ferrero Rocher I'd be gone in seconds and my wife would happily polish off my remains, saving on funeral costs and possibly helping her through the grief process.

This is a lot to ponder. Cheers Richie!

• I imagine my brains would be made of some Crunchie or Wispa type substance, while my blood would be the runny caramel inside a hot Rolo (remember, with a body temperature of 37-odd degrees, it's going to be warm in there). My skeleton would be made of Twix biscuit, my lungs from Malteser and my heart would be a Kinder egg. Reproductive organs could be an issue - Mars bar, presumably (think about it) - but that might be a mercy. Would be cruel to perpetuate the genes, probably.

• We'd definitely all have type two diabetes.

• Screw the football, this is my favourite thread ever.

• Cannibalism could be an issue.

• This is, no question, the greatest thread in Gasroom history. Thank you @Jonny_King and @HCblue, genuine tears of laughter.

• @rmjlondon Thinks he's a Lindt gold bunny, but he's actually one of those mutant knock-offs from Poundland.

• The bunny front right is giving that duck a funny look. Caption competition?

"My brother here says you smell but my nose is made of chocolate so I can't tell."

"No. You're not ugly."

"Look, I'll admit we're all a bit pissed but I promise we won't puke in your minicab."

• "We've signed a goalkeeper called Ruth"

• What do you mean you have actually met Richie?

• "Oi! Stop changing my profile pic!"

• "You look a bit short for a centre-half, but I guess if you played for Egypt..."

• @Vital when I suggested El_abd looked small I was roundly informed by a Gasroomer that he was about 6 foot 9 (or something)

• A smidgin short of 6'. Mea culpa.
    BTW @HCblue: I trust you would put walnut whirls ahead of maltesers in the nether regions.

• 'Sing up gasroom'