Skip to content

Behind the transfer scenes...

This is an interesting video. Highlights what really goes on with agent fees, how late it all happens, and that Wilder really is a bellend

Comments

• Thanks for sharing this, @prufrock_91. Like you, I found it really interesting. Honestly, I didn't find anything particularly objectionable about Wilder's words or actions. I can allow for some frustration at how things turned out in the end but, on the whole, I thought he was balanced, calm and professional in the video. If I got anything from it, it was, firstly, admiration for the job Gareth does getting people in, including the loanees from the likes of QPR, Southampton et al., and, secondly, that it is definitely best to avoid the brinkmanship of trying to get a lot of deals done on the last day of the window!

• Totally agree @HCblue. Thought it might just be me not being able to see the justification for the bellend comment. I too never cease to wonder at the (mainly) great deals GA and colleagues pull off.

• probably cos he managed Oxford, most wycombe supporters have no class at all.

• Truer than you might think, Richie.

• I guess, @micra, now that I think about it a little, that Gareth has the advantage of representing a club that is seen as not being affluent. While it limits our options in which players we have a chance of, it does mean with the ones that we do, I imagine, that other clubs and players' agents are unlikely to dick us around in negotiations. Either their player is available and/or wants to come to us or he isn't/doesn't. Trying to squeeze an extra 50k or whatever out of us is not a gambit they will see as worth their while. Unfortunately, because Sheffield United are a "proper" football club, they will, I guess in this theory, be seen as having more disposable finances that others might viably have a crack at.

• @rmjlondon said:
    probably cos he managed Oxford, most wycombe supporters have no class at all.

Oh the irony of your statement, DOL!

• I thought he generally seemed an arrogant bellend, especially when he was playing pool - but I don't really like the guy anyway, so am willing to concede that's up for debate.

The video however, is pretty good.

• Did you know there is a village called Bell End in Worcestershire. Perhaps we could transfer our idiot up thete!

• I think you'd need a prior negative opinion of the bloke to take any real offence at that clip.

Apart from the continued "proper club" business, thus implying the players they're after are at ramshackle jokes of clubs, he wasn't anything more than some random manager.

I wonder if the other clubs and players involved appreciate how it was spun that they're unreasonable greedy clowns.

• I think @prufrock_91's interpretation could be described as confirmation bias.

• It strikes me as a bit amateurish really. They seem to be almost guessing at who to sign!

Looks like the manager has almost total freedom to do what he likes within budget. To me that seems strange when you know managers will typically only be at a club for a relatively short while.