Skip to content

Tavistock Town Two Taunton Town Two

Well we like a bit of alliteration down ere.

Not being quite as dedicated as Jonny with his bus-coach-tube-train-bus five hour epic journey and to be honest feeling a bit jaded with football in general, I thought I'd take the easy option of a five minute drive to take in a FA Cup Game. And what a joy it was.

£5 to get in, a full 90 mins footy (no timewasting at this level), as the minnows of Tavi (level 10) took on the giants of Taunton (level 8). Proper grassroots footie (there are no terraces, you stand on the grass) but 300 or so people showed up.

The Taunton lowlanders towered over the tavi highlanders (I blame the moorland wind and rain) and won literally every header. It really was men against lambs. Tavi played some pretty stuff on the floor but were overpowered by bigger opponents and only surprise at HT was that it was only 1-0. A second 5 minutes into the second half looked to have killed the game but then Taunton eased off, Tavi got a goal and a classic FA cup time ensued, equaliser 10 mins from time, ex-pro for Taunton sent off and close to a late dramatic giantkilling.

I suspect the higher level team will blow Tavi away in the replay but a faint kernel of hope remains that November may yet see Bayo against the Stannary midgets. What a great competition the FA cup is.

Incidentally I have to travel up the M5/M4 this evening. If I see a National Express Coach coming the other way, Jonny, I'll give you a wave.

Comments

• Glad you had a good day Dev, sounds like a cracking game. Hope the M5 was a lot kinder to you than it was to me this evening.