Skip to content

Match day thread: Forest Green Rovers

13»

Comments

• One other thing, thought that giant centre half who came on did a much better job against Bayo than his predecessor, which rather begs the question why he didn't start. It's not like Bayo's our 'secret weapon' or something. Poor homework from Cooper.

• @Jonny_King I'm hoping the knocks were purely 'professional'as both players were about to be subbed when they went down anyway. As I've said, in my opinion, 3 - 0 up they both should have been off already and fresh legs on. I think you're right about the space we were given and I suspect had El Abd been playing against a Luton or a Stevenage that early booking would have ended up in a red. Bizarre almost fatal juggling in the box aside I thought Brown did his job well and I didn't really begrudge them getting a goal to take back with them. Perhaps not our strongest test, but you can only play the team you're playing and three points is three points.

• Post match interview with Gareth here:

https://audioboom.com/posts/6265327-gareth-ainsworth-interview-post-forest-green-rovers

Seeing as BBC Online have stopped putting these online I will try and record these and share them after the games.

• @Wendoverman Yes, it was a bit of a shame we didn't kill them off when we had the chance. We arguably should have won four or five nil such was our early dominance, but sitting back in the second half allowed them to come at us and get an unlikely goal, which given some of our recent late capitulations made the last twenty minutes unnecessarily nervy, despite the two goal lead. Our next three games should provide more of a test and give us a clearer indication of where we are. Probably a good time to play Newport away, as their pitch won't have had much time to turn into the Grimpen Mire.

• it was good to see @Midlander enjoying a few pre-match lap dances in the White Horse

• @Jonny_King it's a new desso/3g pitch, so last few seasons should not be repeated.
    PS glad to hear you had a good experience yesterday.

• Cheers mate, good to know and thanks very much! Desperately trying to wriggle out hosting a do on Saturday so I can go to Newport.

• Have to say, as the years roll by, you get used to "event wriggling" when WWFC are having a good season. Start getting used to it! :-)

• Like Lev Yashin at his peak, @Jonny_King, or the version that's been dead for 27 years?

• To be fair, a corpse would have sufficed in goal during the first half. Brown may as well have brought a book out with him.

• Except for a top drawer save at 0-0 after the El-Abd booking. If we'd gone 1-0 down at that point and in those circs, it all could have been very different.

• Unless i'm forgetting one, surely the "save" was right at him?

• He didn't have too far to go, no @Malone. I was just very relieved that he managed to get a good punch on it and clear the area. If I was not mistaken, he looked a little low on confidence by his body language, especially after he nearly gifted them a goal with his fumble in the second half.

• That save and punch in the first min was good to get his confidence up.
    But not good work from El Abd who didn't need to bring that guy down when he was never reaching a ball our covering defender was mopping up.

Did well not to come close to a red the rest of the game mind!

• I thought it looked a very harsh free kick and yellow card against El Abd, there was certainly no intent to bring the attacker down, just looked an innocent collision to me.

• I suspect it to have been more like the "accidental" collisions that seem to happen accidentally quite a lot in our games. Less accidental was the push in El Abd's back that lead to the FGR goal. Right in front of the excellently positioned referee who penalised every hint of a touch by Bayo and many others the whole game. Suddenly, a little physicality was fine.

• Just seen the goals. Bayo really did show a turn of pace. What a lovely chap.

• It's now Friday night and I'm watching Derby do to Hull (winning 5-0) what I thought we would do on Saturday when we went 2-0 up. Did anyone else feel that we might go on and win five or six nil.

• I thought we could have got six goals in a FL game for the first time, if we kept our foot down. At half time I wonder if GA realised that, we certainly came out a gear lower.

• I believe they call it being 'professional' not 'just hang on to what we've got for 45'