Skip to content

The new, more appreciative Paul Hayes thread...

2»

Comments

• @malone really? It all clicked together nicely but finest in 15 years? I guess we are in for a bleak time if that does happen. The 2014-15 team wasn't as good as the Gorman team or league cup semi final one either.

• edited August 2017

Don't agree with the league cup semi team, I remember that team as a fairly dull team, who underachieved in the league with a dour manager who described every game as "tuff" and thought nothing of a woeful 4 centre mids across midfield approach.
    But of course the Gormania team was the stand out, albeit it with a very soft edge that saw us draw way too many games.

However, I did mean from the team of 3 years ago onwards...as i can't see us with that quality a team for a long time.
    Someone described this season quite well, as a Bayo focused, defensive mess, with a mad rotational job up front alongside the big man.

• I think I'll probably remember the first debut for Paul Hayes with the big win and the excitement in the play. The two playoff semi finals are probably the best way to remember him as a player as alongside Holloway they dominated Plymouth.

Having said all that though sitting right behind that volley at Spurs will be a vision etched in my mind forever. Brilliant technique, great drama and all the more special after missing that simple header in the first minute.

Thanks for the memories Paul and I still have a sneaky feeling our paths will cross again.

• He played on through the chronic achilles problems after the play-off season, but eventually it all caught up with him despite his gallant efforts. The first-half against Notts County was an anti-climactic end, though his outstanding contribution during the play-off season and the last hurrah at White Hart Lane will live long in the memory.