Skip to content

An idea for more fans at the Forest Green game

2»

Comments

• If that's in response to me, @fromtheside, I was rather thinking of acting independently of the club. I'd fund a ticket for someone to join me on the terrace. Am thinking more in terms of individual, rather than club, action. I'll leave it to them to decide whether they're able to deal with doing this on a larger scale.

• @Morris_Ital - the build up to the Knights season has been exciting, but in the craziest of ironies, after three years of following this expansion story eagerly, I recently lost my job of sixteen years suddenly, and there is a chance I will be moving to Denver, Colorado, for a new job, depending on an interview this Friday. If I get the job, I would probably have to move up there right before the season starts! We already had planned a couple of games out too.

Thankfully Denver has an ice hockey team also, but it will be rather gutting to miss the Golden Knights first season, even though we would be back in town from time to time with my wife's family being from here in Vegas. I would have to catch them on the road in Denver when possible, I suppose.

• @Morris_Ital - nice idea about the Bayo trailer too!

• @Shev good luck with the job interview from what I hear Denver is a lovely part of the world and it always looked good in Mork and Mindy. The Avalanche stank last season but by strange coincidence the first game is against the knights so that could be a sign and of course the NHL have the draft so things could change .

• @Morris_Ital thanks - it would be a great opportunity, and Denver does have a great reputation. On another good note, the cheapest Golden Knights tickets seem to be running about $70, whereas for the Avalanche it is about $30 or so.

• @Shev more importantly, is there a significant time difference that would make watching WWFC on IFOLLOW easier?

• Hey @EwanHoosaami - not too significant, but it does help. Denver is an hour ahead on Mountain Time, so I would only have to get up at 8am on Saturdays, which is more attractive than 7am.

• There speaks a man without young children.

• You know me too well, @drcongo !

• I have been posting on various forums, but many teams (including Reading unfortunately) don't let you post until they have moderated the post, and I am not getting through everywhere. I was hoping to hit every big team and generate at least 5000+ thread views overall this week, but not sure if I will get there (not yet to 1000). Here are some of the more interesting responses to the invite, though:

Sorry dude I've still not forgiven you lot for Roy Essendoh. All the best against the Vegan millionaires though. (Leicester fan)

Just the mention of Wycombe ... can feel my PTSD coming on... (Leicester fan)

I went to your first match against Lincoln. Enjoyable day out. Nice beer tent outside selling real ale and cheap barbecue. Akinfenwa was useless that day, but is banging in the goals since. (Leicester fan)

Really enjoyed the League Cup game there a few years back. Really nice ground, surreal looking out into the shire while watching football though and a great beer tent with some surprisingly good Guinness. Think that would've been because the ground was being shared with Wasps at the time though. Essandoh was before my time supporting the club but it is absolutely horrendous from our PoV how that played out. (Leicester fan)

Not after the arsehole clenching I had to endure when you came to ours last season. (Spurs fan)

I'm going to a Wycombe game when I'm in the UK in December, I used to live there and they're my second team. Excited about their prospects this season but very worried about the dreadful defending they've shown now that Pierre's gone. The 4th round match was a special game (and I'm glad Spurs won in the end) and it's good to see lower league fans from fairly nearby clubs trying to get PL fans to watch some lower league when it's international weekend. Best of luck against the vegans. Up the Chairboys! (Spurs fan)

Plenty of thread views on Arsenal and Chelsea forums, but no actual responses.

• Good work, @Shev, and thanks for sharing the entertaining responses.

• Excellent work @Shev getting our name out there. I'm not surprised that PL fans won't put their heads over the parapet on a forum but it's the views and planting the idea that we need .
    This club has a lot going for it, a long and proud history, fan ownership, some real characters playing and a manager that's a credit to the game. I'm like you a little bit of independent marketing can't do any harm.

• Cheers @HCblue @NorsQuarters @Morris_Ital - yes, I think it is worthwhile endeavor. It is worth at least putting the idea out there. There seems to be a general bewailing of the corporatization of the Premier League, even among fans with something to shout about lately like Leicester, and Wycombe have a lot to offer, if people will just give it a try. There is no reason more supporters can't be like that Spurs fan who has Wycombe as his second team.