Skip to content

The People's elbow?

Apologies if someone already posted this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40933785

Comments

• Saw it somewhere. Sounds dangerous! Hope Luke makes a good recovery. (Only joking @Aloysius!)

• Even Sports Illustrated is reporting it. The big man is certainly waking waves...
    https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/08/15/dwayne-rock-johnson-adebayo-akinfenwa-peoples-elbow-video

• Walking or making?!

• @micra @NorsQuarters Waking the world to the wonders of Wycombe Wanderers.

I have no idea whether the publicity will bring any tangible benefits for the club, but there will now be more people in the world who have heard of Wycombe Wanderers than had heard of them before, and another set of people who knew of Wycombe Wanderers previously and have now had that knowledge refreshed and strengthened.

• I wonder how many additional people have bought the goalkeeper shirt that wouldn't have done without the publicity surrounding its launch.

• edited August 2017

Was in the club shop on Friday picking up my ticket for Port Vale and happened to ask that question, @Chris . The answer was that sales of the goalie shirts are up by a significant multiple that I can't quite remember. I'm pretty sure it was six, but it may have been higher, like twenty. Certainly, it was at least six. Either way, sales are way up!

• edited August 2017

An increase from one sold to six sold would be a sixfold increase though. Actual quantity sold of far more interest.

• I'm happy to work on the assumption that they'd have stopped selling replica kits, including goalie shirts, a long time ago if they weren't selling them in numbers sufficient to turn a profit. From that base, a sixfold increase seems unequivocally positive.

• Not sure I have ever seen a replica goalkeepers kit worn anywhere. Have you? What would your broad estimate of normal GK shirts sold be? Any cash is of course welcome but hard to see profit on GK shirts to be significant surely?

• This seems a slightly unnecessary tangent, @DevC .

• My daughter had a dull grey goalie shirt as she liked Frank Talia (although I think we only saw him play twice!) so stop talking our post-Brexit goalie shirt sales down @DevC

• Profits to be used to buy Dave tarpey??

• At £65 the profits can't be too small! All the extra publicity can't but help. Making waves, waking minds... if we can get people to support the Wanderers and reach into their pockets for goalkeeper jerseys or shares in the Trust or 500 club it is all to the good.

• £65? Blimey.

• It's £42 as far as I can see.

• I'm very suspicious of people who wear GK shirts as a leisure item.

• Could mean they have got safe hands!

• @floyd I feel the same about any football shirts worn outside stadia. It does not make you a bad person.

• I would wear it to a rave any day!

• Just checked again, online it is £65 for adults, £45 for kids. Rather buy shares than that!

• @NorsQuarters is your price the complete kit rather than just the shirt?

• When I click on the link you gave it comes up as €65, I guess that is £42 then?

• I would appear you're being ripped off on a rip off, Nors. Sterling/Euro rate hasn't been 1.50 for a good while now. Surely very very few people living overseas are going to pay 65 Euro for a Lg2 football shirt. The world surely isn't that mad.

• For the survival of the club you love @DevC pray that it IS!

• edited August 2017

Does redemption lie I wonder in praying to Luke O'Din or simply in reverting to Thor Thor too.

(Nors mythology pun, a gasroom first?)

• and last?

• Ragnarok and roll football.

• Nors mythology puns we may do a few but we'll keep it Loki.

• I've had enough of this. I'm going to get hammered.