Skip to content

Comments

• edited August 2017

Thanks, @Vital . Tallies with my perception of the game. It was men against boys for 88 minutes and then suddenly got very interesting.

I suppose the only criticism, apart from both goals conceded, might be that we should have had at least five or six before then. A couple of one on ones produced weak shots. Their keeper made two or three good, if not astounding, saves in the second half. Saunders had more ball than he's had in every other game I've seen him in combined today. As usual, he was game and was willing to run at the defence. If I'm not mistaken, he's got very little confidence in his ability to score at the moment.

• It was the best performance I've seen by a long way from Southwell who was only denied a goal by two top class saves from Hornby - the free kick and then the shot at the end. If PCH recovers I'd be tempted to play Akinfenwa, PCH and Southwell as the starting front three.

Saunders was the stand out player, but the whole team was excellent. El Abd looks very solid at the back, if a little slow, and also a threat going forward in their box. He seems a very useful replacement for Pierre.

I'm still concerned about what would happen without Akinfenwa, but then I suppose a lot of sides would struggle if missing both their top scorers. Surely Akinfenwa can't play the full game each week.

• @Chris I suspect the fact the big man rarely breaks out of a trot and only works within a six foot area means he will be available more times than not...like last season. What a great signing!