Skip to content

Comments

• edited August 2017

Thanks, @Vital . Think I might have had Bayo at least a point below your 7. For me, he was well off his best, even making allowances for the very fine job both centre halves did on him.

It's very hard to rate Southwell and Tyson, isn't it? In this system, the guys playing their positions get almost no service. It's almost like their positions are only worth marks for effort; attainment is almost unattainable...

• Scores for Southwell and Akinfenwa somewhat generous!

• JJ and LON head and shoulders above anyone else.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maybe Ainsworth can get the pitch narrowed again until we don't need any wide players. He will not budge from the way he sets the team up.

• Frustrating! I have sore neck from watching match yesterday...was more like tennis than football!

• I see Tyson has some catching up to do already .... won't score more than Garry last season or this and I would be willing to lay £1000 on it.

• They must be paying you a lot in the club shop or is daddy a very rich man Richie?

• First game and Tyson hasn't scored as many as Thommo did last season. This is a disgrace. I am willing to look after the money if anyone takes up @rmjlondon on his bet. Cash only.

• @JulesTheImp not much to argue about in that report, very even handed. By the end of season I suspect the even-handed showing respect to your opponent standards may have slipped a bit, Look out for 'not fit to referee' 'gave them everything gave us nothing' 'anti-football' 'dark arts' and 'Nathan Jones is a %£$%'

• A tad churlish to suggest JJ's free-kick deflected in.

• If it did take a deflection, possibly then off of Bayo who was very clever as it looked to me in the highlights that he was using his immense strength in holding off the Lincoln player creating the opening for JJ's free kick.

• I am (almost) certain it hit O'Nien and was his goal if you watch it a few times and look at the path of the ball! He runs off to celebrate too.

And this IS me being churlish but I think he might have been half a yard offside (impossible to tell and would have been an incredible spot if given(!))

• edited August 2017

I wondered at the time whether he might just have been offside - I was watching him stare at the goalie and he was certainly looking along the line as the kick was taken to check his position. Not at all sure he got a touch, but if he was in an offside position he sure as heck would have been interfering with play! It was a lesser, rather cuter, version of what Rhead did earlier in the game. What on earth was he thinking there?!

By the way, Luke always celebrates like that - he's a good team man!

• Is there any evidence that he does think?

• Is there any evidence that he does think?

• Well?

• Didn't understand the question either time you posed it.

• @HCBlue I actually think the 'in eyeline' thing is quite effective... Rhead does it in a pantomime way but it worked for a few free kicks last season that went keeper's side (and not round the wall).

In terms of evidence of O'Nien's touch... check out the video and you can use the full stop and comma buttons to move it one second either side.

I thought that Green deflected it when he charged it down... but the path definitely changes later, and I think it's as it goes past O'Nien. I can't prove it though haha, but the way he runs away does make me think it's very possible! I think it's going straight down Farman's throat otherwise.

• Hmmn. Not sure I see a change of direction there - the ball disappears behind your defender as it goes past him and O'Nien. It was an odd goal, though, I agree and the keeper's flatfootedness, which reminds me of Steve Sherwood now I think of it, suggests a deflection. My first thought was that there were just too many bodies in the keeper's way to see it until it was too late. But ho hum.

It's been good talking to you Lincoln guys this week. Seems like you'll be just fine this year and maybe got a chance of the big time. We're not a great side, as you've seen, but pretty representative of the standard in the league.

• @HCblue said:
    Didn't understand the question either time you posed it.

Sorry Hugh. Must have been distracted by the TV programme Mrs micra is watching. You enquired ((very reasonably) what on earth Rhead was thinking. Better grab me coat.

• I definitely think the angle changes as it goes past O'Nien but it's not close to conclusive. Not a big deal ! Cowley said in the inquest immediately after the game they'd said it had deflected at the very least.

Thanks for the positive comments and the Q+A on our forum. I'm not sure how we'll do yet, but I think we'll be OK at the very least. I think it was encouraging how we played in the second half and actually did better without Rhead on the field (not the case last season, where the plan b didn't work), and when Woodyard got on the ball more. I think Raggett going this week (as it sounds likely) is going to be a big blow. He was very good against a tough opponent in Akinfenwa yesterday!

Seen a few comments from both sides saying the other team was dirty or the other team won't do well this season; thought it was pretty evenly matched on all counts and a bit mental with it being the first day so hard to tell.

Good luck (up until the 7th April!) and see you at Sincil Bank!

• Oh right. Yeah - I don't like to pick out particular events in a sport that is almost completely morally bankrupt, but standing in front of the keeper - like a foot in front, for those that weren't there - and doing your very best to prevent him communicating with his teammates while everyone is setting up for a free kick, seems about the most unmitigatedly unsporting act I can imagine.

• Full marks for originality but, as you say, unsporting. Standing in front of the 'keeper as he tries to clear the ball upfield also seems pretty crass.

• Mmn, that latter one is a widespread practice but it was taken to the utmost on Saturday, wasn't it. Not common to follow the keeper around to that extent.

• I agree it's a bit unsporting re: the free kicks... but I think it genuinely works. Small margins and all that and I guess the Cowleys/Rhead aren't too fussed if we ruffle a few feathers. We scored quite a few direct free kicks last season and several that went directly through Rhead, and the keeper's side. Whether they hadn't got the wall right, were unsighted whatever... don't know.

I noticed your keeper had one of several chats with the referee after it and I don't think Rhead would have got away with it the second time.

I have also convinced myself it hit O'Nien haha. Told you it works (!)

• Yes, I'm all for looking to exploit small margins, and your managers seem admirably on the ball in their approach. But what Rhead was doing was beyond the pale, to my mind. Could not remotely justify it within the rules of sporting behaviour. Like screaming "Miss" as a player takes a penalty or pulling someone's shorts down as a corner comes in! Possibly gives an advantage but can't be justified.

• I think it felt justified to the population of Lincoln when Habergham scored a 90th minute winner against Torquay that basically secured football league status in April!

I'd argue surrounding the referee and trying to get a player sent off (Woodyard's was the most nailed on yellow in the history of football) is a bit unsporting, but boot on the other foot and Cowley is ten yards on the pitch and Bostwick is all over the ref.

But I'm clutching at straws as I would say the same in your position !

• Not meaning to be partial in my judgements! And agree that Wycombe, like all other teams, do wrong and cynical things. The Rhead one was just so flagrant!