Skip to content

Current Squad Strengthening in Pre Season.

2»

Comments

• Rarely indeed, Eric. you may be right, that may help a little too.

• Realism would be a lower-mid table finish based on our financial clout.

Expectation would be a mid-table or better finish based on a team that has been adept at over-performing the past 3 seasons and an apparently experienced, well-knit squad.

Optimism would be a play-off position given luck with injuries and the rub of the green over the season.

Pessimism would be a relegation battle given bad luck with injuries and a loss of confidence amongst the players.

Men (or women) in white coats for those who believe/expect/demand automatic promotion.

The week before the season every football supporter should be filled with optimism. The pessimism will come in quick enough (see Crawley last season for example)

• Luckily, the league isn't decided on who has the biggest budget, otherwise everyone could submit their wage bill at the start of the season and save themselves having to play 46 matches

I think we have reason to be optimistic about this season. We have some good players at this level, and I back Gareth Ainsworth to get the best out of them

I've a feeling we might go up

• I agree with you Booker. Just about where I am.

There are reasons to be optimistic, Eric. You could just as easily find reasons to be pessimistic. Which way you prefer to be is down to your personal preferences and instincts. It wont have much influence on how things turn out.

Personally I am comfortable with our charity bet.

• Remind me what the terms were of that again?

• Charity bet - no promotion £20 to charity of my choice (shekinah) from you, promotion £80 to charity of your choice (tbd)

• ah yes - thanks for the reminder

• I enjoy that at our level money carries some clout but isn't totally defining. Last night Ainsworth was asked how we compete with Lincolns budget and he just said we will just beat them on the pitch.
    I'm still not convinced the playing budget of our first choice eleven is much different to many in our league but that is a long debated thought already.

• @Right_in_the_Middle Very true. You can try and buy this league and the Conference, but most of the technically good players are at this level are here because they aren't consistent. FGR spent years trying to get out the Conference and Eastleigh the same.

• Probable top four playing budgets 2016/7 - Portsmouth, Plymouth, Luton, Doncaster
    League positions top four 2016/7 - Portsmouth, Plymouth, Doncaster, Luton

1. you've guessed at the budgets
    2. how many other seasons would your made up top 4 budgets in the league have finished in the top four positions?
  • Of course Eric. But to pretend there isn't a close link between budget and outcome is sadly false. There is. Not to say it cant be overcome sometimes (otherwise there would be no point) but nonetheless still a very important driver.

Five years ago these teams started that seasons Lg2. I have sorted them into my guess of the biggest, middle and lowest budgets. You may have a slightly different grouping but I daresay not a million miles off.

Highest Budget: Rotherham, Northampton, Bradford, Oxford, Southend Fleetwood, Bristol R, Plymouth
    Medium: Port Vale, Burton, Chesterfld, Rochdale, Wimbledon, Cheltenham, Aldershot, Gillingham
    Low: Exeter, Wycombe, Morecambe, York, Acc, Torquay, Dagenham, Barnet

All eight of the highest budget teams are now a league higher. Some of the middle teams have gone up, one down. None of the low teams are a league higher, many a league lower.

• can't wait for Saturday

• Come on Dev, get in your car or jump on a train and get to the home of football (Adams Park)!

• why whats happening. Should get there about 1730. Will I be too late?

• Not sure Dev is in good enough shape to jump on trains. Leave that to 007. And his driving must be spectacularly sedate if he's going to take 6 hours to get here.
    An early breakfast on Saturday might be preferable. But don't hold your breath.

• You may be right about my physical condition, Micra. My days of jumping on trains are indeed over. These days I ride alongside them on my trusty steed, strip off my top to reveal my rippling biceps, lasso the train to a halt and walk on to mass applause from the other passengers and then eat a bounty bar in a faintly suggestive manner.

While physically I may not quite be in the shape I used to be, mentally I am glad to say I am still sharp enough to calculate that the time elapsed between 1.15pm and 1730 is c. 4 hours not six though......

• Excellent post, Dev. And a good example of incipient senility on my part. Bloody 24 hour clocks.

• but it took Portsmouth and Plymouth a couple of goes...and we've still got Luton.

• I should point out that in Dev's list One of his suggested higher budget teams did manage to get relegated out of the league. Real shame it was too