Skip to content

Interesting article about Andy Bell's time at Wycombe

As posted by Gasman v1, http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/non-league/big-interview-bell-s-lived-the-dream-1-7179943

The bit that struck a chord with me most was about Tony Adams. We all knew he was bonkers but here's yet another insight into just how bonkers!

“We were so excited when Tony Adams became manager,” Bell said.

“He is an absolute legend of the game and I would never say anything bad about him as a player, but when you look at his managerial career in detail, it’s not great. He was a little bit puddled.

“The one thing he said to me before our first training sessions was, ‘Who do you want to be – do you want to be Freddie Ljungberg, Thierry Henry or Dennis Bergkamp’?

“I looked at him as though he was having some kind of a joke.

“I think I just said, ‘I’d loved to be any of them three’!

“He then said, ‘Well I’ll tell you what, I will come back after training and tell you who you could be’.

“So after training, he came up to me and said, ‘Right you’re not fast enough to be Henry and you’re not skilful enough to be Bergkamp’.

“I was thinking, ‘Well yeah, you have a point’.

“And then he said, ‘So you’re going to have to be Ljungberg’!

“I remember he then put our left-winger Jermaine McSporran as the central striker because he was the fastest, so he was Thierry Henry.

“He then put Darren Currie, who was our most skilful player, as Dennis Bergkamp and then played me on the right wing as Ljungberg. I was thinking to myself he’s actually taking this literally.”

Comments

• So nobody turned up with a bottle of Buckfast and a steering wheel claiming they were Tony Adams

• Kind of ironic that he didn't fancy Roger Johnson in the Tony Adams role.

• @Chris On and off the field - indeed! I wouldn't mind betting Adams had himself there in training though with Rog cleaning his car.