Skip to content

Misleading BFP headline

Does this headline suggest football hooliganism was a factor? The attack actually happened hours after the game , early Saturday morning .

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/15442539.Football_fan_left_needing_13_stitches_to_his_face_after_attack_following_Wycombe_Wanderers_match/

Comments

• Cannot see how this can possibly be linked to football. Shite reporting.

• Also - I know typos happen, but come on BFP!

• This is like the Coventry story that arose after our semi final there earlier this year. Complete nonsense reporting that drags football and put clubs name through the mud. No connection whatsoever

• A remarkable headline, though I take no great exception to it because of its colossal ineptitude. It is as reflective of the article as it is concise. Was it bring-your-son/daughter-to-work week?

• Both clubs should make a complaint to the BFP.

• Gutter journalism. A poor excuse for a newspaper now, sadly

• What do you expect from a shit rag that is unreadable now?

• to be fair(not that i like the bfp) but that is the exact headline thames valley police put out on twitter. so it looks like the bfp have just copied and pasted!!!

• The police should know better. The BFP should have an editorial process to revise inappropriate headlines.

In fact, followed the TVP twitter feed and got this: https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/news/witness-appeals/appeal-information-after-man-found-facial-injury-maidenhead/, which does not at all have the same headline...

• Easter European?

• click bait.

it worked.

• On reflection, it could easily be proper for the police to reference the football angle on their Twitter feed since they are in the business of looking for information and witnesses and fans at the game may be able to account for the victim during and, perhaps, after the game. No such justification for the BFP, which seems to have recycled the body of the police report without any real editing, adding in the clickbait headline themselves.

• As mentioned above, this is TVP's fault. Local rags are so cash starved it's just retweet or republish the press release.

There'll be no such thing as the BFP in a few years time.

• @DevC so it shouldn't be challenged then?

• Headlines draw on prejudices of all kinds. Race, religion, gender, employment sector etc. This one happens to prey on stereotypes about football supporters. As @arnos_grove points out publications are so short of cash and dependent on generating web clicks that they are reduced to this sort of crap.

• Might as well have headlined it with any venue that the man had attended, such as "man who attended Gary Glitter concert attacked". The fact that it was back in the 1970s is just as relevant as this guy who may have attended the match hours before!
    As prior posters suggest, it drags the murky past of football into today's much more sterile environment which football does not deserve, particularly at our level.

• @robin said:
    What do you expect from a shit rag that is unreadable now?

Many thousands of people look forward to, and enjoy, reading the Bucks Free Press. The fact that you cannot afford toilet paper is irrelevant.

• @micra what do you think of the BFP proof reading/subbing these days?

• I only read the back pages and obituaries but mrs micra scours it and keeps me posted on the occasional item of interest -e.g. progress on the latest McCarthy & Stone development!

I did chuckle at an item that caught my eye when I was checking circulation figures just now. A missing cat (yes, I know) is named Brian Dawes. Most unusual for cats to take the owners' surname. But a good outcome. Crossroads vets saved the life of Brian. You couldn't make it up.

• edited July 2017

@micra Reminds me to always look on the bright side of life!

• Bring back Alan Feldberg who now according to LinkedIn has risen to the heady heights editor of bodyshop magazine. no not the coconut foot rub people but a magazine for people who paint wheel arches.I knew he was set for greatness .

• @Morris_Ital said:
    Bring back Alan Feldberg who now according to LinkedIn has risen to the heady heights editor of bodyshop magazine. no not the coconut foot rub people but a magazine for people who paint wheel arches.I knew he was set for greatness .

Well it's one up from editing Auto Trader I guess?