Skip to content

The Wonderful World of the FA

Players cheat (not allowed to call it cheating), managers abuse officials, owners rape clubs and send them into oblivion and yet they still have time to charge a bloke for taking advantage of a stupid bet.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40607213
If the FA want to be sanctimonious about betting then they must ban it from shirt and match sponsorship. No? Of course not. The Sun made a betting offer at the expense of this guy he took advantage, basically ++++ you The Sun and anything to do with you.

Comments

• 100% with you @TheAndyGrahamFanClub . Of all the things one could pick up on as being bad for the game, this is the one they chose. Any bookmaker stupid enough to offer a market on this event deserved to get taken to the cleaners and the FA would have done very well to stay well out of it.

Anyone else getting totally fed up with the constant diet of gambling ads? From the ads with whatsisname, the cockney geezer, suggesting that wherever you are in the world, on top of mountains, on desert island beaches, the best thing about modern life is that you can be betting on sport, to the idiots obsessing over their bets while their companions do what they can to keep both of them alive in perilous circumstances, to the utterly pathetic Top Gun "impression", the faux statistical analysis of Klopp and the effete male model/ art dealer (yeah, right). All of them sending the message that you can't enjoy life without obsessing over sport and that you can't enjoy sport properly without having money riding on the outcome. A pathetic and, I suggest, an extremely negative and damaging message for society.

If the FA want to protect the integrity of their game, they would do well to start by distancing themselves completely from the whole gambling world rather than protecting it by stopping reserve non-league keepers eating pies.

• Hear absolutely hear @HCblue. Sick to the teeth with it and the sound of Ray Winstone's horrendous voice and accent really takes the biscuit.

• I can hardly bring myself to watch Scum anymore.

• The Sun didn't do a deal with anyone. This was Sun Bets, a different entity.

• I take your point about the corrosive and insidious betting adverts, though watching Ray Winston's bizarre conversations that only broach the topic of betting with a surreal quasi-schizophrenic projection of his self-image onto a cyber avatar has a certain dadaist charm.

• Blimey. It's totally lost on me.

• Alll I ahve to say is Bet. In. Play. Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

• Can you imagine being the sort of cunt that betting ads are aimed at?

• edited July 2017

@drcongo Those adverts are aimed at gambling addicts suffering from a psychological illness, even if the companies never admit as much. Though if you're on about that Brokelad's one, even a bona-fide see you next Tuesday would feel insulted by that vomit-inducing cobblers.

• For myself, I'm happy to include all of the ads in my criticism.

• @Midlander sorry if it has the Sun brand anywhere near their offering it's toxic to start with. Bingo, bets, newspaper, don't care. Toxic toxic toxic

• Sun Bets is part-owned by News UK, owners of The Sun, so the separation of the betting company and newspaper is not great.

• Not really the language I would normally associate with your posts drcongo. You must feel really strongly about this topic?

• I used to work in advertising.

• @drcongo Did you used to have to imagine the c***s you were aiming your ads at in your morning meetings, congo?

• I think the big yellow ball of hot stuff in the sky should change its name (or perhaps astonomy should do it on its behalf).

Perhaps then Murdoch would finally get the message and fuck off.