Skip to content

Lack of respect to non league

I happened across Sol Campbell saying he would take any job EVEN in non-league. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/08/sol-campbell-non-league-manager-interview

As Mr Campbell has no experience why does he think he deserves anything in the top 4 leagues?

Comments

• Having read the article, I don't see a huge amount to object to. It describes a chap who is willing to do whatever it takes to get a foot in the management door, having spent quite some time doing coaching badges and some coaching work with Trinidad. Read as a whole, I can't get worked up about anything.

• I just wish they would come up with a better and more accurate phrase than non league Very difficult to explain to non football types that they play in leagues ! Any ideas?

• Maybe players like Sol Campbell have lived in a gilded bubble for so long being given what they want when they want they struggle to adapt to having to prove themselves to get something.
    There are plenty of academy positions for him to go for, but I simply don't understand why he thinks he should be entitled to queue jump the many decent coaches out there that have done their apprenticeship already.

• @Mr67 It does have a name: the National League System. This covers the next seven levels of the English football "pyramid" below the Premier League and English Football League.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub I don't really understand criticism of a guy with a wealth of footballing experience at the highest level and some coaching experience saying that he is willing to work for free as a manager at a non-league club. Surely that's exactly what you're advocating he should do?

• edited July 2017

Maybe it just the way the article is written, but it would appear he is waiting for someone to approach him with a job offer. If he is that keen to get a job, then do what everyone else does and apply, then take his chance in the interview process along with the rest.

Once he's proved he's good at managing a football club then people will come looking for him, but until then it's up to him to do the chasing.

• I guess saying "I'm prepared" to manage at non league level would give the impression he is lowering his standards in order to get on the ladder, yes that may true but small club supporters don't need to be told he's doing such a thing and they certainly don't need a big time Charlie telling them how lucky they are he is .