Skip to content

What's it all about Alfie?

Well played Alfie Mawson scoring for the U21s tonight who showed great character to come back and win from 1-0 down.

Comments

• Saw most of first half but not the second. Did they play well? Was going to ask you full time score but I'll nip off to me BBC Sport app.

• 2-1 Redmond got the winner. Wasn't a great performance (England were strong favourites to win) but they didn't panic and came back well. I fear there are much stronger teams waiting in the semis if we get there.

• Meanwhile in the Poland v Sweden game the commentator declares 'It's deja vu all over again.'

• @LX1 . It's a famous line, heard originally, I believe, from the mouth of famous Yankees catcher of the '40's through to the '60's, Yogi Berra. The section titled "Yogi-isms" here will, I think, make you smile. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogi_Berra#.22Yogi-isms.22

• Very droll @HCblue.

• @HCblue thanks! :-)

• He should have taken one of the penalties, he's done it before under more pressure.

• I too was surprised not to see him step up to take a penalty.

However, at risk of opening a can of worms, surely the situation last night (representing your country at a semi-final of a major international tournament) would be deemed higher pressure than a League 2 Playoff final (albeit at Wembley)?

• Some might deem it that way.

• @Last_Quarter , i was going to say, i read that from Chris earlier and thought surely he can't be referring to a league 2 play off as being the "more pressure" situation!

Have to laugh!

• LX1LX1
    edited June 2017

If you consider how many fans were involved then yes it was.

Whilst the Euro U21s has become a very high profile tournament, it is still just a youth development exercise. How many people would have been crying into their pillows last night? How many people would have taken to the streets had England won?

Compare that to when we lost at Wembley.

• How many people watched it compared to how many watched our game?

How many people cared Wycombe lost compared to England lost.

That's probably a better balanced comparison.

• More watched. Less cared much I'd guess.

• I'd imagine more people in England cared about the U21s then the pitiful10,000 or so we took to Wembley!

• You are whimsical @LX1.

• Looking at the U20s World Cup win a few weeks ago, I didn't take to the streets, no. But, I did enjoy watching England achieve something on the football stage and I am now a lot more aware of that crop of players.

You also have to take the fan element out of it and think about the impact of being part of an English winning team on Alfie's own career. I'd bet that he'd see it as a bigger game than the play off final he played 3 years ago - added to the huge pressure on every player who represents their country at a major tournament.

• There's really no debate at all. Playing for England U21s v Germany in a tournament semi final is in a different stratosphere to a 4th tier play off final.

• Better ask Alfie @Malone!

• Who would win a fight between gumming bears and care bears?

• Is it outside Tesco?