Skip to content

Proposed Rule Changes?

2»

Comments

• Good point from Righty about managers having a responsibility to uphold the spirit of the game. Some of the "game management" we have been privy too these last few years has left a real sour taste in the mouth.

I think we as fans should probably cut referees a bit more slack as well. They know the laws of the game in far greater detail than almost all of us.

Clueless TV pundits don't help either. They come out with so much shit and then it's parroted by fans at the ground who take their word as gospel. I think what BT have done by having Howard Webb as part of their coverage and referring to him when there are contentious incidents has been absolutely brilliant. I don't know why all broadcasters don't do this.

I think all tv commentators/pundits should be made to go on a refereeing course before they are allowed to broadcast personally.

All that said, I saw a linesman give an offside from a throw in last year at Adams Park, which I'd never seen, in professional football right down to sunday league. So there will always be something to moan/laugh at

• One of the proposed changes that I feel should have been introduced from the start is the change of order for penalty shootouts. The ABBA format makes for a better contest. than the current ABAB format. It would be interesting to get a goalkeepers perspective on the advantage/disadvantage of facing two consecutive penalties.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    How Chris ?
    It's is all so very easy to make that kind of statement without stepping in to the realms of actually giving an example of how it could be done.

I'm talking about the proposals mentioned at the start of this thread, and responding to the statement I think the laws are already in place to stop alot of the cheating these proposals are designed to stop

• @eric_plant I remember the Wycombe fans howling abuse at the referee (I think at Burton) for entirely legitimately not sending off their goalkeeper for handling outside the box. I'd take the referee's opinion over the fans' on 98% of occasions.

And there was the offside from a rebound a few years ago that even after the game with the rules laid out in front of them people were still getting wrong - it might have been Northampton, I remember there was quite a discussion about it on the original (and still the best) Gasroom.

• Not only the fans - Ainsworth spoke about it strongly despite it being fairly clearly the correct decision.

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/onthenet/news1314/2014_04_18_northampton.htm

• Video technology for major decisions - give the ref the tools to get those decisions right.

Use lesser tournaments like the LDV to trial stuff - eg the 60 minute stop clock. Soon find out if it makes it better or worse.

Implement firm rule on abuse of referees - captain only to query decision - firmly enforced. Similarly management to not abuse linesmen or referees firmly enforced. No need for it - tolerated too long.

• edited June 2017

I'm with @johnthehair 'Yellow card for calling me a cheating ****'

• Leave the rules alone. It's part and parcel of the game we love. Sometimes luck has the decisions go your way, sometimes not. I feel in the long run it evens out. I think it adds to the excitement and drama... but that's my opinion.

• Did the backpass rule improve the experience of watching football? I think it did.

• The rules of the game have always been in a state of flux in attempts to improve the game, and I'm sure always will be.

I remember a proposed change to the offside rule where the 18 yard line was extended right across the pitch, with players only being offside goalside of the line. It was tried in a pre-season competition (possibly the Anglo-Italian cup). Wycombe took part in it.

Unfortunately, football never seems to be very good at assessing the consequences of rule changes inadvance, thinking them through and implementing them properly.

Rugby Union used to have problems with dissent. They introduced moving penalties 10 metres forward for dissent and cut the problem at a stroke. Players soon learned to not argue with decisions and treat officials with respect. Now players (via the captain) at most, ask for clarification of decisions rather than argue the toss over everything. Football still has the problem and keeps tinkering with the rules to resolve it.

Has the game improved by handing out more yellow and red cards? I think not. A club used to pick up three or four yellow cards a season, now there are regularly that number handed out in a match. Meanwhile communication between players and officials seems to be worsening.

The goalkick placement rule was changed to speed up the game, now they are looking at reverting to the old rule for the same reason. Duh!!!

I don't have a problem with rule changes as such, but they do have to be clear, effective consistently applied and improve the game.