Skip to content

England reach World Cup final

Congratulations to the U20s who will play Venezuela in Sunday's final.

Comments

• Is this the first world cup final at any age group since 1966?

• No, we lost on penalties to Spain earlier this year. U17 I think.

• If you are thinking of a month or so back, I think that was European.

• LX1LX1
    edited June 2017

Yeah that was UEFA. Don't think any team has got that far. Of course we all remember Scotland losing on penalties to Saudi Arabia at Hampden in the U16 final in '89.

• Ah, I stand corrected.

• A relatively young England team have also reached the final of the Toulon Tournament for the first time since '94.

• Oops! Fake news. In real news England have defended their Toulon title. The under 20s attempt to win the World Cup kick off imminent

• Well done to England's Under-20s - World Cup winners within a year of Academy teams being allowed in the Checkatrade Trophy....

• I'd be interested to see how many of those players actually played for their clubs in the FLT. Quite a few of them were on loan at FL clubs last season anyway.

• (Should emphasise, that comment was meant to be ironic, but I can see the win being used by certain people in authority to justify the FLT format.

• I guessed it probably was, but your comment did make me wonder in turn how many of these guys even featured in the tournament. But yes, I'm sure Harvey will be all over this.

• LX1LX1
    edited June 2017

It was like Le Tournoi all over again in 97.

Incidentally imagine the meeting the French FA had for that rehearsal tornament when they were awarded the World Cup.

'Nous avons un tournoi pre le Coupe du Monde. Qu'est que c'est le nom de le tournoi? Hmm nous sont tres creative nous sont francais. Je sais! Le Tournoi!