Skip to content

Early transfer business

Its quite encouraging to see a lot of lower league clubs signing up players for the new season. The 31st of August rush is absolutely mindless and puts even more financial stress on small clubs. It used to be unusual for much business to be done before 1st of July when officially transfers can happen but the BBC website is featuring some really interesting transfers.

I wonder if this see us go early in the market.

Comments

• We will wait for the end of the window sales.

• We don't need quite the overhaul we've needed in the last few seasons.
    Who can forget starting the summer 3 years ago by securing Pierre and Hayes!

If we started the season tomorrow with everyone fit, I think we'd give it a good effort.

Pierre still has to decide what he's doing, so pretty likely a strong centre back brought in there. And a decision about a good loan keeper versus Brown, and then you could argue a versatile squad member or 2 is all we need.

• Ugwu signs for chesterfield ...wow did not see that coming...

• In fairness Ugwu has done well for Woking good luck to him.

• Unlike Holloway, he always gave 100% and had a physical presence. I have a feeling he will be relatively successful at this level.

• hi guys! I'm a fan from afar (Melbourne Australia). been following the club's fortunes for a few years, and always wanted to watch the chairboys and now I will be able to with iFollow!! so excited.

anyway I think I'd like to help the club financially. can someone explain to me what the difference is between joining a trust (like normal, same as other clubs) and owning shares? I'm pretty stupid but I just don't get it.

also it would be cool if you get some little certificate so I can show it off at work haha. has anyone joined and do you know if this happens? I'd like to get more people involved.

sorry if this is the wrong place to put this.

cheers!

• When Holloway bothered, he could be unplayable. That run towards the play-off final, he was brilliant.

Ugwu was atrocious the whole time he played for us.

• Difference was that Ugwu always gave his best and seemed a little unlucky with his chances. I can forgive that. I can't forgive someone with the talent of Amadi-Holloway looking like a sulking kid being sent to the naughty step every time he got a run out.

• Ugwu was an enigma, he'd come on and seemingly change the game in our favour, except he just couldn't stick the ball in the net.

• I think at our level a physical presence is occasionally enough to unsettle defenders regardless of whether they are any good or not. I would suggest that's why it seemed that the dynamics of the game changed when he came on. (I actually liked what I saw of him and I thought he didn't get the rub of the green enough).

• Agree @bookertease I don;t remember us creating much for him to miss when he was with us...it's not like he pulled out of a crucial header at the death of a game or anything. I suspect him and Bayo might have been useful as a pairing...

• I'm pleased he's doing well and that, but he was rubbish wasn't he?

• While huge effort is right up there with badge kissing for us fans, at the end of the day we are a professional club, and you've got to have a bit more about you.

• He ran about a lot but was useless at football. That's fine on a Sunday morning but not in the football league.

• edited May 2017

Yep. At the lowest level you can be a very effective player through that particular art.
    And there's been a worrying trend even in the Premier league for running around a lot to be treated like some sort of new art (see Liverpool and the supposed "gegen pressing")
    But when sh!T comes to shove, you need more.

• So...no chance of him scoring at Adams Park at least.

• @Username - Whilst Ugwu will never be a world beater, 19 goals in the Conference last season for a struggling team would seem to indicate a standard slightly above "Sunday morning" level.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    When Holloway bothered, he could be unplayable. That run towards the play-off final, he was brilliant.

Ugwu was atrocious the whole time he played for us.

Not true, his 20 min cameo away at Accrington was one of the finest impact subs Gaz has ever made, the Chairboys on the terraces that night, all be it v few of us were going wild, it was amazing to watch & all the more frustrating given some of his other performances, we chanted 'Gozzi's gonna get you'
    late into the night

• The contrast with Liburd, who I'm sure is a more skilful player, was startling that night.

• Liburd ranks alongside Pogo Patterson and Fiola Onibuje. In the most ineffective strikers I've seen in a Wanderers shirt.

• @ChasHarps He was atrocious wasnt he. I would also add the name of Richard Logan to that list. The 4-1 FAC defeat at Crewe was personally one of the worst performances I have ever seen and Logan was the worst of the bunch that day!

• Logan's performance in Waddock's last game against Wimbledon is second only to Carlos Lopez in the worst Wycombe performance of all time. Actually, Pittman's substitute display against the PNLs comes close

• Agreed Mr Plant, I'd have to go for Pitmans sub peformace against the PNL. Surely for the lack of application and effort. If he was injured, how the bloody tell he passed a fitness test that day is baffling.

• Looks like alot of league 2 teams doing there business early. Notts county look strong alomg with cambridge...mansfield bought well also.

• @eric_plant said:
    Logan's performance in Waddock's last game against Wimbledon is second only to Carlos Lopez in the worst Wycombe performance of all time. Actually, Pittman's substitute display against the PNLs comes close

Agree re Pitman. Let's not forget Donechien (or however you spill it) truly terrible at centre back, just rubbish at fullback.

• Donachien must have improved as he played nearly every game for Accrington last season.

• Janoi Donacien apparently had a bit of a 'mare at centre back in his debut match for Wycombe on 22 August 2015 (I was on holiday) but was much improved when playing in a wider right position in the 2-1 victory over Hartlepool in early September. He returned to Adams Park on 20 October with Newport County and caused us a few problems in their 2-0 victory as the Tuesday night hoodoo continued.

• @mooneyman said:
    Donachien must have improved as he played nearly every game for Accrington last season.

Yep, must have, just signed a one year extension. Thanks for the spell check as well

• You're welcome.