Skip to content

Tony Adams

Can anyone else shed any light on why Arsene Wenger might not want Tony Adams to join his coaching staff?

Comments

• I wonder how Adams rates his time at Wycombe and his other body of work.

Probably would be right up there with Smith, taking over a team that just missed the playoffs, spending loads, and then saying he "couldn't understand where the Wycombe fans were coming from, I genuinely thought I was doing well".

And throw in some absolute bullsh!t about how "someone very close to the running of the club" said we'd be certs for relegation unless major changes were made.

It still seems incredible, this far on.

The end of season video, where he appeared looking like a mashed up hobo was just dreadful.

• He must rank just below Alan Sm*th but above Neil Smillie as our worst football league-era manager.

• Smilie was totally out of his depth.

Smith was awful, but who'd have succeeded following Martin?

Adams had his (often overlooked) bright spots, and although he certainly didn't help himself, i'm not sure he ever really had a chance to succeed.

• @MindlessDrugHoover , no one ranks below Smith.
    Adams at least got us near the top of the league for a short while, and brought the likes of Tyson in.

Smith basically bought McCarthy and got sacked. His only 2 positive contributions to our cause.

• I think you're reading my table of awfulness the wrong way round. Sm*th the worst, then, now and forever.

• Yep. It was the Smith being at the top that threw me :-)

I wonder quite how bad someone would have to be to beat him.
    Probably impossible, as the pure contrast in following our best ever manager would be hard to replicate.

• Tickets for this currently still available:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/an-evening-with-tony-adams-tickets-34692887360?CMP=SprklrP--Sprinklr+Paid--The+Times+and+The+Sunday+Times--Paid--Image+and+link--Unspecified--FBPAGE

There is a chance to ask questions at the end too!

• edited May 2017

@Wendoverman
    Can anyone else shed any light on why Arsene Wenger might not want Tony Adams to join his coaching staff?
    Only mentioned this towards the end of last week. Read an article in a red top tabloid whilst waiting for my butty. Apparently, quote Adams: "Wenger couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag & he doesn't like big characters"? That's why he Adams never gone back to Arsenal. Clearly Adams has been a marvellous success everywhere else he has been!

• Glad that Adams can confirm the only reason he isn't in a top coaching job at Arsenal is because he doesn't fancy it.

• Having once worked with "Brucie" Forsyth, he told me one drunken evening in Brazil that it was Adams that got him pushed out at Wycombe. A top bloke, Brucie that is and NOT Adams.......

• Adams that got Bruce Forsyth pushed out at Wycombe? What on earth is that about? Your impression of Bruce Forsyth as "a top bloke" is very much at odds with my own impression. He always struck me as a very self-centred, narcissistic individual.

• Micheal Forsyth one would imagine...

• Was it because he kept calling Adams Anthea and asking him to give us a twirl ?

• How did I fall for that one? Perhaps because I hadn't spotted any reference in this thread to Michael "Brucie " Forsyth and I just assumed that @Pete was involved in show biz in some capacity. The heatstruck addled brain did the rest.

• @micra I'm intrigued as to how your heatstruck addled brain came to the conclusion that Bruce Forsyth would have been at Wycombe for Adams to have thrown him out in the first place

• Thought Forsyth left in 1999 and Adams came in 2003?

• @micra , Probably time to come in from the garden now old fella. Have a nice cool rest in the activity room.

• @TwinBrother , had to check that myself. Seems Forysth came back as a part time coach, and then reserve team manager after that.

In fairness to Adams (though i'm loathe to offer him anything but disdain), you would want your own people in.
    And Brucie, a decent character was far from a Wycombe legend whose removal would cause outrage.

On a completely different note, i was always amazed Rhino left Wycombe for a coaching role at QPR under Gregory, and then completely fell out of the game afterwards.

• @micra Are you saying that you do an impression of Bruce Forsyth? I'd like to see that.

• @Malone Yes, I've got a feeling you are right.

• edited May 2017

Shame Ryan is not involved at WWFC. How long was his stint as joint manager with Brownie? I seem to remember they acheived a decent set of results together.

• @bookertease said:
    micra I'm intrigued as to how your heatstruck addled brain came to the conclusion that Bruce Forsyth would have been at Wycombe for Adams to have thrown him out in the first place

Be intrigued no longer @bookertease! As I said at the time, in a more polite way, WTF! No one has mentioned Michael Forsyth for aeons and I wouldn't have connected @Pete's post with that fine central defender. My tired brain told me.....well, you know from my post of 12.48 what it told me.

@Cyclops - oh, alright then, I'll brace myself to say that it's nice to see you next time we meet and I'll even throw in a few werwerwers for good measure.

• Sorry @Malone, forgot to respond to your good advice regarding heat and the elderly. I cut the grass and then took the dogs for a shorter than usual run. Off to the pub now for carvery and jazz.

• Carvery and jazz sounds like a revolting euphemism. Or a New Orleans law firm

• Revolting euphemism.

• urgh you no nice clean man

• And now I know why I don't waste too much of my life on here......I worked with MICKY FORSYTH for a few years and always found him to be a 'bloody nice' bloke so I'm afraid I take his veiw on what happened. It was when he was back here coaching that this falling out with Adams. BTW this is the same bloke that came back from a long injury layoff back into the team at Man City when we were struggling to aviod relegation in 99 and helped us beat them......He was a bit of a hero then.......

• I have never had cause to doubt the Forsyth version of events. After all, who could take the word of Adams, as he has spent the majority of his post football years with his head up his own harris & speaks through said aperture all of the time.

• Tony Adams due to appear on BBC Breakfast news in the next 30 minutes.