Skip to content

Premier League funding of League 2

So - was Andy Holt right to speak out?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39874533

I must say the heavy-handed response from the PL was appalling.

Comments

• Good on him for speaking out - probably a lot of clubs stay quiet for fear of losing what money they do get handed down. Much of this goes back to the discussion we had a couple of weeks back about TV revenue distribution, so expect a day of Dev conjuring numbers from thin air and weaving them into spectacular speculation.

• The money is the PL is obscene. It is unhealthy to so many. Why the issue of youth development within the PL is not highlighted is a scandal. Clubs have unlimited funs to recruit endless amount of players and then discard them on a whim ruining promising careers and in some cases lives. How dare they criticise Andy Holt a bloke who is trying to run a football club along ethical and moral grounds like most of the lower league clubs.
    I could rant and rant. Tonight we get to see how a £90million transfer resulted in half that money leaving football and ending up in the pocket of an agent. How is that good for anyone in football?

• M3GM3G
    edited May 2017

I was happy and glad he did and other chairmen have come forward supporting these comments. Its obscene and is ruining the game at lower level and even in the Championship.

• Is football any different to the rest of life though?
    A tiny percentage control a massive portion of the money, and the rest have to make do with scrapings.

• A similar distribution of money applies in most sports now, particularly golf, tennis and even snooker now.

• But football should not be about that. We might as well pack it all in and just play down the park. The hopes and dreams of every football supporter is to see the club they support play at the highest level. Thats why where possible we need to make a stand against this type of thing.

• It is still possible (although unlikely) any team can get to the Premier. Look at Bournemouth, a goal 10 minutes from time in 2009 saved them from relegation to the Conference. Now 8 years later, they are an established mid table Premier side. Burton are another example of rapid progression up the leagues.

• Burton are yes, But Bournemouth definitely no. 2014/15 Debt was £39.1 million. Covering all costs to upgrade stadium for PL. includes wage. Add Fair play fine of £7.6 million and they were are at £46.8 million. This is all bank rolled by the Russian owner. Now yes they banked £70 Million for getting in the Premier league. But in all honesty its unsustainable in the long term. As it will be for Fleetwood and others who will follow the path.
    I would say Burnley were a better example and for a town of some 75,000 and a great traditional history of competing with the best in historic terms, but have spent wisely and low and did not gamble in the first two attempts at staying up.

• Money IS an issue...but also the question of a well run club. Bournemouth and Burton have built sound foundations on the same financial constraints facing other clubs...but then you look at biggish clubs with formally sound infrastructure and tradition like Forest, Blackburn, Leyton (I know), Leeds who should be in the top division but have to deal with rich basket case owners. We may not make the PL, but looking at what others have achieved we have the makings of a League One...possibly Championship (?) club if we can stay on an even keel and improve every year.

• Bournemouth are looking around £115 million in prize money if they finish 11th in the Premier League.

• @M3G - Bournemouth's estimated Sky income alone this season is £111m, so I suspect their debt has been cleared.

• I suppose you could say, in the context of Bournemouth, that some of this money obscenely washing around the PL has found its way to us - there's no way they'd have (over)paid Liverpool for Jordan Ibe without knowing they were going to get a whole dollop of cash for reaching the heady heights of the Premier League.

• M3GM3G
    edited May 2017

@mooneyman No it's not. It's all gone on wages and inflated transfers. Living well beyond means. It was 60 Million alone on wages last two seasons.

• @M3G - Looking at their accounts lodged at Companies House for year ending July 2016 they actually made a profit!

• I suppose you could say that we benefited indirectly and minisculey from the obscene money in the Premier League by having an excellent young goalkeeper on crazy wages for a season. Probably only possible with a goalkeeper.

• Minisculely!!

• The correct standard spelling is with u as the second vowel: minusculely. Although now in common usage, the variant spelling with i as the second vowel is technically erroneous.

• Oh f**k. I try too hard! I was going to pick someone up earlier regarding "partaking " - so often misused nowadays for "participating ".

• Didnt know what thread to post this on but seems to be the best one with the owners etc. Have a look at the clip.

• Come on @micra, can we have one rare day where you're not either obsessing about the height of men, or correcting spellz?

• Have done neither this yearuntil today when UncleT lured me into it. And that is gospel so you can F off too!