Skip to content

The Opposition View - Cambridge

What the U's had to say...

http://www.wycombe.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=490905

That's all folks. Have a nice summer.

Comments

• Shaun Derry is utterly deluded.

• Yes, he talks of fine margins and ok they nearly snatched a draw at the death, but his side were well off the pace for the full 90 minutes. I'd have been as fed up as those Cambridge fans sounded if Wycombe had put in such an insipid display in a must win match.

• Fair comments ..Pretty much how we all saw it.Never gave it a go did they.

• I'd have been as fed up as those Cambridge fans sounded if Wycombe had put in such an insipid display in a must win match.

Mansfield a few weeks back.

• A lot of those comments could have easily been about us after many games.

• Yes, any home game in the period between early Feb and late April.

• Or at Morecambe last Saturday. When I got to the ground and heard the team read out, my heart sank. A front three of Bayo, Hayes and Tommo! We had two pacy wingers sat on the bench and another pacy forward sat in the stands. For 80 minutes we played like it didn't really matter. Then all this week, we have been hearing the manager saying how we are going to go for it. Too late, I'm afraid.

• Oh dear Kev, you risk upsetting the Ainsworth groupies on here. However, I agree. Too little, too late.

• If we played like the Doncaster and Cambridge games every week the ground would be buzzing win draw or loose, creative football on the floor, Beano and Sam S in midfield just like watching Brazil! More of the same 17-18 please, we have the squad. Gormania revisited!

• Doubt if Beano will be here.

• Yes in fairness we could've done with this level of performance a few weeks ago. I was surprised though at the lethargy Cambridge showed, particuarly as they were in a better position to us with regards reaching the play offs.

• @mooneyman said:
    Doubt if Beano will be here.

Played really well last couple of games, he will resign.

• How Cambridge played yesterday was almost exactly how we played at Morecambe last week. I am not privy to what is and what is not Cambridges best team but I do know that trying to shoehorn Tommo and Hayes into a front three last week was foolish.

• Resign? Or re-sign?

• Weston has shown some decent skills when he's played and I must admit...I was surprised to hear the Morecambe team. Yesterday the team looked like a team and we mixed it up a bit...long and on the deck. And we had options on the bench. I would put PCH on for Weston earlier though...but I am always surprised by the lack of minutes given for subs who could add a bit of energy to a performance late on.

• Hayes + Thommo normally leads to very little in terms of shots. Not really sure why. I don't mind Thommo as a player and Hayes's decline is a mystery when you think back to his performance at White Hart Lane.

• @Cyclops said:
    Resign? Or re-sign?

Typo 1 Commonsense 0

• I put it down to 2 things 1) fitness - he probably doesn't trust his body if he pushes it and fears getting injured again and 2) motivation- people may disagree with me here but he was everywhere against spurs great goals clearances off the line a real captains performance on the big stage but all his minutes in the league combined this season haven't seen that much effort. Maybe knowing he had another year on his contract he knows he doesn't have to put in the effort unlike the likes of bean and thommo who have been playing out of there skin the last month to try and get a new deal

• @Right_in_the_Middle I haven't looked at yesterday's stats but it did seem to me that an instruction to shoot on sight had been given. When I was at school we had a distinctly un-PC name for players who behaved as greedily in front of goal as Bayo and Kashket did yesterday.

• Thompson is not good enough for League 2,how many games has he started only to be subbed within an hour as he's been poor. If he gets another contract then Ainsworth will have to explain why as he's only improved recently to get another contract even though he's been a waste of a wage for the rest of the season.

• I think "goal-hanger" is pretty PC @Onlooker.

• @robin, that's one take on things, another take is that he made 50 appearances this season! So that to me shows he's pretty well valued by the manager!

• @perfidious_albion Commonsense? Or common sense?

• You insomniac you @Cyclops!

• @micra Yes. Just got back in from dogging and had an hour or so to spare while Mrs Cyclops was parking the car.

• You must both be dog-tired @Cyclops.