Skip to content

The Opposition View - Barnet

Comments

• Overall, a well balanced collection of views & pretty much as I saw the game. Thompson penalty wasn't for me, he used all his experience to gain that one. Campbell -Ryce could learn from that, many times he had Harriman twisted inside out & once in the box fully expected him to take the acrobatic fall at the first point of contact. I expect the "dark arts" will be taught to him in time, which I hate BTW.

• The penalty looked "soft" on the highlights, but one of those which is usually given. One of the basics really to run across the defender once you're in front of them, so good play by Thompson, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that there was contact.

• Bit of a textbook penalty for me, too. I was in line with it and, as @Username said, Thommo ran across the defender, drew a challenge and took the fall. Not the way sport should be played but the way it is played by every professional football team. Also with @EwanHoosaami on Campbell-Ryce, who had a super game without quite creating the end product that Thommo by dint of experience/ cynicism.

• Rather interested to see on the highlights all these penalty appeals turned away which to the naked eye from the away stand was impossible to see.

• Good experience by Thompson, and clearly caught the defender out, not expecting him to put that turn of pace on and drive directly at goal.

You'd be pretty disappointed if your defender not only let him get into your box from there, but clipping him too.
    Let him cross it on his wrong foot, and how likely is it that we would we have scored?

• @Malone Exactly my thoughts. i used to think the same of Jocky McSporran, better to leave him go through one to one and shoot at the keepers chest than drag him down and get sent off as the last man!