Skip to content

Announcing Wycipedia

edited April 2017 in Football

-- edited post --

Anyone with an encyclopaedic knowledge of Wycombe Wanderers can now share that knowledge with the world...

https://wycipedia.org

-- original post --
Hello people.

Inspired by the thread about Teddy Beeson, and the several posters on here with an encyclopaedic knowledge of Wycombe Wanderers, I had an idea. If I created a "Wycipedia" (like Wikipedia but just about Wycombe Wanderers), would those people with that knowledge be interested in filling it with their facts?

Comments

• I think that would be a great idea and I'd love to contribute. The name Wycipedia is as obvious as it is brilliant.

• Thanks @bill_stickers - I simply don't have the Wycombe knowledge required, so it would live and die by its contributors. Probably a fairly simple thing for me to set up though.

• Probably worth contacting the two sites that have the WW history & Chairboys gas that also has a great archive.

• @drcongo Not sure that I'd be much help as a contributor of accurate info, but there are obviously a good number of regular pasters on here who would have the knowledge. Just want to add my support for what sounds like an excellent idea. Go for it Doc!

• Right, it exists: https://wycipedia.org

For now, it requires an account to edit pages but I can turn that off it people don't like it.
    Fill yer boots!

• FYI my knowledge of Wycombe is bang average at best but I think even just migrating information from Chairboys on the Net to that format could be very useful for people who want to bounce around different articles.

• I love the thought of knowledge seekers mistakenly ending up on Wycipedia & becoming indoctrinated in our ways... this could be the making of a footballing global superpower.

• Probably be sued by the real Wiki fo4 attempting to confuse their readers!

• Not a bad idea at all, I'd be up for helping put some of it together. If there was a wish list of articles, I'm sure someone in the know would be able to knock something up on the subject.

• Didn't a Wycombe fan update the Wiki page fairly recently to a decent standard?

• @peterparrotface The idea here is that we fill it with all Wycombe knowledge, not just a decent standard history of the club. Potentially dangerous given how subjective these things can be, but also possibly a chance to preserve it all before it's lost forever.

• The idea of these types of wikis is that they are far more detailed than the "real" Wikipedia would ever allow, as they just focus on one topic.

• @drcongo I think @peterparrotface might be referring to when the Wycombe page became a massive historical trove of information (2-3 years ago), so much so it was soon edited down (a lot) to more like it is now. If you could find the person who wrote the long version and get them involved then you'd be off to a great start.

• I believe the first article has been put up

https://wycipedia.org/wiki/Bluey_the_Swan

Some sources may need to be cited on this one

• Good idea but so far reads like a fanzine rather than a historically accurate source of knowledge.

Maybe I should add the anecdote about betting my mate £50 if he would run on the pitch and rugby tackle Bluey. During the game after a particularly heavy sesh in the Vere pre-game my mate went for it, only to slide down the steps in the terrace, falling on his Arsenal and not making it down to the pitch before giving up and watching most of the second half sitting in the same spot too wasted to get up......

.....happy days.

• Brilliant! Whoever wrote that, please write something for The Wanderer (unless you do already, in which case please write more).

• Without wishing to sound like some pretentious 6th form art student, I'd quite like it if we let the tone of the Wiki take shape organically. if some articles are humorous and others more factual I think it's all part of the creation process.

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed but isn't that the point? Factual accounts can pretty readily be sourced now and there are some really good sites with press cuttings covering a fair bit of our history. Isn't it better to record what being a fan actually means? That way when historians look back they'll get a slither of understanding why relatively sane people spend a fortune and sit in 5 hours of traffic on a cold wet tuesday night in February en route to watching their beloved team lose 2-0

• Yeah I reckon just stick any old shit in there.

• The problem is if you ask 10 Wycombe fans the same question you'll get 10 different opinions, with the only agreement being that the other nine aren't 'loyal supporters.'

So it should be fun!

• All you've ever wanted to know about Carlos Lopez, including a surprising recent development.

https://wycipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Lopez

• @peterparrotface Like a crowdsourced SMBU?

• @Chris Good stuff. I was half thinking about doing an article on Lopez, but fortunately left it someone who could actually do some half-decent research on the matter!

• Are articles on Gasroom posters permitted? I feel like we need a page for Mr. Monsoon, wherever he may be.

• I maybe heading to Mexico City over the Summer and I'm tempted to track Carlos down. However, an interview based on the premise of being a clubs worst ever player could be a hard sell...

• Wycombe's only Olympian.

• I wonder which Garoomer could've writteN that?

• Didn't Lopez get in contact with the club a few years back saying hello and passing on his best wishes? I'm pretty sure the club published his letter/email either on the website or in the matchday programme. I wonder if he's aware of his place in WW folklore?

• He did and I wanted to include that on Wycipedia, but I couldn't find the WWFC news article.

• Great Bluey piece, the Commercial Manager was Mark Austin although I rather like the idea of 'Six Billion Dollar Man' Steve Austin selling lottery tickets, and perhaps helping out with the team, coming off the bench and laying waste with his speed and strength!