Skip to content

Player of the Season?

Tough one this year. Without being harsh I can't think of a player that has performed consistently over 9 months. I suppose Bayo is the stand out as when he did get his chance he delivered but his season didn't get going for the first couple of months.
A special nod for Bloomers for having a renaissance season that a lot of people did not expect? Blackman? He has been outstanding at times but with the level he is at (personal coach etc) I think a lot of people will say he should be that good so that won't get him votes.

Comments

• Akinfenwa pretty easily for me, with Jacobson second.

• Surely the winner isn't in doubt? Kashket could have challenged Bayo if he had stayed fit this calendar year but sadly not. Stewart and Blackman make up the remainder of my top three.

• The Beast for me.

• Pierre or Bayo

• For me it has surely to be a player whose standards have not fallen so low that they have justifiably been strongly abused on-line or more constructively live during the season

By my reckoning that rules out Jombati, pierre, Thompson, Bean, hayes, Bloomfield, Wood, PCH, Southwell, Harriman, ONien, Weston, Bayo, Muller, De H, Gape, Jakubiak, Blackman and Saunders.

Has to be Brown for me.

• Akinfenwa by a mile.

• @DevC when has Akinfenwa been abused?

• Akinfenwa for me. What he has delivered has surprised and delighted me on and off the pitch

• At the start of the season, Akinfenwa received considerable abuse from a wide range of sources. Then he started scoring.....

• @DevC said:
    At the start of the season, Akinfenwa received considerable abuse from a wide range of sources. Then he started scoring.....

Arguably true on the abuse front and that is in my mind unessecary for any player although I'm not sure what your point is beyond that? He has been better than many, including me, expected? True- that's often part of being a contender for player of the year. If your point is that he shouldn't be considered by anyone who was critical of his signing at the start of the season - well are we not allowed to be wrong? To learn? To admit mistakes in our evaluation of others? Would you not vote for a player who had outperformed your initial expectations?

• Bayo followed by AP and then Kash for his scoring run (hopefully restarting tomorrow) everyone else has drifted in and out of form

• It was purely tongue in cheek to highlight the negativity. My suggestion that Brown should be PoTS in view of the prolongued positivity towards him despite only playing for two games (?) for us was a bit of a clue.

I would be surprised if Bayo doesn't win.

• There is no way on God's earth Bayo won't win. Maybe if Kashket hadn't got injured he might have run him close, but it's a one horse race.

• Akinfenwa by miles.

I was completely wrong about him, he's been brilliant

• By the way, I don't remember Akinfenwa ever being abused but I don't read every comment and I don't read facebook

• I think Jacobson's had a particularly good season and 12 assists is pretty remarkable for a defender IMO (particularly in a side struggling to create). Some of his numerous balls right onto Bayo's forehead have been truly beautiful. Unfortunately I'd suggest he hasn't been as defensively solid as previous seasons. Bayo has certainly made one hell of an impact both on and off the pitch and our season would likely have worked out very differently without his goals in the league and cup competitions, so I think he will win it comfortably.

• edited April 2017

The Beast by a country mile...of all the players he has been consistent, even when he's been playing with an injury. Others have blown hot and cold and not necessarily played as well as we know they can!

• The Beast and second a long way behind, Blackman.

• Player of the season, Bayo of course. Player who made the most dramatic and unexpected impact - season turning in fact - has to be Scott Kashket.

• That seems to be settled then.

• @eric_plant said:
    By the way, I don't remember Akinfenwa ever being abused but I don't read every comment and I don't read facebook

Sensible chap- it's awash with cockwombles of the first water.

• @DevC well I thought it was funny.

But as everyone else has said, Bayo by several streets. Not only for his footballing skill but for his affability and willingness to engage with all supporters.

I'd actually put Stewart marginally ahead of Pierre as I think he has developed more this season whereas AP, although a better player, has just been fairly steady (with a slight dip mid season if memory serves).

Blackman obviously is up there along with Scott.

Other than that positives for JJ, Bloomfield, Wood

'yea okay' for the majority of the rest with a tinge of disappointment at the progress of Luke, Paris and Harriman

• @DevC said:
    It was purely tongue in cheek to highlight the negativity. My suggestion that Brown should be PoTS in view of the prolongued positivity towards him despite only playing for two games (?) for us was a bit of a clue.

I would be surprised if Bayo doesn't win.

I will eat my hat.

• I take it you mean lack of progress @bookertease. Borderline retrogressive I'd say.

• Indeed I do. Probably Luke more than anyone. I think he has taken being Wycombised to a new level

• @bookertease said:
    Indeed I do. Probably Luke more than anyone. I think he has taken being Wycombised to a new level

Gape is also well on his way, all semblance of mid field creativity being squeezed from his game.

• I thought this season Luke was really going to push on and become the Scowen esq player we all thought we had found.
    Sadly he has lost that killer pass and balance for most for the season and spends a lot of time looking for fouls or chasing his own misplaced passes.

• Bayo with Blackman in second spot.

• Glad you said that @eric_plant
    Bayo has been superb this season, easy choice for me

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Bayo with Blackman in second spot.

I agree...bayo has suprised me greatly ....been brilliant for us