Skip to content

EFL Survey - Wycombe (Daily Mail response)

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses so far. The link that was previously sent has been corrected so there's been no issues with contamination. We'll be presenting the findings to the EFL and government in the near future.

There is still time to complete the survey should you wish. https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/FFK7TYF

Thanks again for your time,

Tom

Comments

• Should I just make it up if I don't know, like the Daily Fail does???

• Should I just make it up if I don't know, like the Daily Fail does???

• I haven;t looked but is there a question about there being too many foreigners in the English game...?

• Do make up your mind @MBS !

• I clicked on the survey, it contains all the subtlety and shades of grey that you you would expect from that nazi shitrag.

• @drcongo oh do elaborate on such an outrageous conment

• The Mail famously supported Hitler and Mosley' s blackshirts.

• I'm reluctant to say this because @drcongo is on record as liking my posts but I do wonder why the Mail excites such vitriol from some of the more political Gasroomers.

• I can't speak for other 'political' Gasroomers but I could summarise it in two words: Katie Hopkins. Personally though it's not so much vitriol I feel about it, more that feeling you get when you accidentally step in a large dog turd

• Very strange sentiments.

• Sorry @micra it's just that I personally find its values and world view abhorrent and against everything i personally believe in. I appreciate that I am generalising but in the same way you know what you're going to get if you walk into a McDonald's or weatherspoons say you sort of know what you'll get if you pick up a Mail.

I happen to think that it has contributed to making this country a poorer (culturally and socially) and less kind place than it used to be and I find that a shame. But I accept I am probably in a minority

• I suppose if I was more politically aware and was a Daily Mail reader (apart from the Sport Supplement on Sundays) I might have equally strong feelings. I rarely look at a newspaper although I do occasionally get the Independent spinoff. It's cheap, relatively apolitical and fairly free from celebrity gossip. It also has a five clue cryptic crossword which I am usually able to complete!

• The 'i' is excellent. Broadsheet journalism for 50pe in an a 4 format. The mail is blatantly ridiculous. The scary thing is people read it and lap it up

• @bookertease Great post. It's not always as overt as a Katie Hopkins column, but there is an inherent nastiness that runs through that paper that I believe has contributed to the 'I'm alright Jack' attitude the right wing middle class have towards the poor and vulnerable, both in Britain and elsewhere.

Also, agree that the i is superb.

• It's fairly obvious the Mail is awful, giving column inches to the likes of Hopkins and with a divisive and often hypocritical tone throughout. But I don't think it's substantially any worse than say the Sun or the Express.

• I'd say the S*n is far, far worse than the Mail. Hideous rag.

• @Chris - I guess it hasn't been referenced because it is specifically a Mail thread, but you're right to point out that the Express is equally abhorrent.

• @bookertease sums it up perfectly. I'd like to think you are not in a minority

• The biggest bag of shite when it comes to newspapers is surely the Guardian

• @tewkesburychairboy said:
    The biggest bag of shite when it comes to newspapers is surely the Guardian

Nah. It's the Mail.

• The Mail is 'Britain loving' woman hating anti-EC paper (whose editor rakes in 400k a year from the EU for his land) that hates everything and everyone that makes Britain great, which is why frog-faced fraud Nigel Farage and right-wing hater for money, Katie Hopkins, not to mention Trump apologist and Twitter agitator Piers Morgan are all over it like a rash. It's website is a mishmash of hatred with added celebrity t**s and bums. You might not agree with what the Guardian, the Torygraph, or Murdoch Times have to say...but you don't feel like you need a shower afterwards. And at least The Sun and The Mirror present themselves as the partisan picture heavy dim-witted comics that they are. The Express is the newspaper for those who have no interest in the news.

• Am I alone in not reading that much print news anymore. I visit the BBC website regularly and I don't feel political bias is attempting to prod my opinion in one direction or the other although on occasion they do struggle with their inherent liberalism.
    What really concerns me is what's happening on Facebook and other social media websites where some pretty nasty groups are spreading bile.

• Also, a newspaper that purports to be patriotic and regularly targets `benefit scroungers' but is registered in Bermuda to avoid paying full tax in the UK.

• I'd say that the perpetrators are inherently evil and probably semi-literate at best. To imply that such individuals might have been influenced by something as alien to them as a daily newspaper sounds pretty crass to me.

• @micra said:
    I'd say that the perpetrators are inherently evil and probably semi-literate at best. To imply that such individuals might have been influenced by something as alien to them as a daily newspaper sounds pretty crass to me.

Helps set the tone though

• @Username said:
    Helps set the tone though

Agreed. You don't have to read the Mail to feel its odious influence. Despite dwindling sales, print media still sets the news agenda for TV and radio - helped by BBC and Sky filling up airtime with various 'The Papers' type shows. I guess it's cheap and easy to spend 20 minutes every hour after 10pm with a pair of fame-hound hacks blathering on about other people's handiwork.

I had a conversation with my neighbour over Christmas which involved a crack about said event 'becoming illegal soon'. It ended with the assertion that he was 'not going to be made to bow down to allah' - something I was not aware that we were in imminent danger of being required to do.

I'll leave you to decide whether the regular appearance on the Daily Mail on the dashboard of his van had any influence on the utter dribble he'd been spouting.