Skip to content

Any WWFC historians in here, please?

Hi all

I wonder if anyone in here could help me with some information about a player from the dim and distant past?
E. Beeson appeared on a number of cigarette and trade cards c1922 as can be seen here:

photo Beeson_zpsdsnnvvv8.jpg

I would like to know two things about him please:
a) what was his full name?
b) over what period was he at Wycombe?

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

MT :-)

Comments

• There is a photo of him in Dave Finch and Steve Peart's excellent official history of WWFC in the reserve team for the 21/22 season but he doesn't seem to appear in pics for 19/20, 20/21 or 22/23 and his name doesn't appear on any scoresheet around that time, which would indicate his time here was short. His first name isn't given. Hope that's some help.

• I knew him (Teddy Beeson) when he was much older. He played cricket for Bucks and High Wycombe CC for a good many years and his feats with bat and ball were commemorated in the pavilion, and perhaps still are. He became groundsman at the RGS and took great pride in producing good wickets for the cricket team. He was also a very good cricket coach. He lived at Great Kingshill and always watched the cricket on the village green and a firm critic of what he was seeing, especially of those like me that he had coached at school.
    I am sure the cricket club could give more information. He appeared in all the RGS school photographs. Have a look at:- http://www.rgs.tonyhare.co.uk/photos/schoolphotos.htm

• In the school magazine in 1952 congratulations are offered to him:-
    The club wishes to offer its congratulations to Mr.
    Beeson on being elected Captain of the High Wycombe Cricket
    Club for 1952. The High Wycombe Club, which is well over one
    hundred years old, is the foremost club in Bucks and plays regularly,
    and with success, against all the big London clubs, and its 1st XI,
    when at full strength, fields no less than five full county caps and
    five who have played for the County. Thus the position of Captain
    of the club is an important post.

• Thanks for all of your help, chaps.
    It would appear then that he was called Edward "Teddy" Beeson and that he played for WWFC in 1921-22, which ties in with the issue of the card in 1922.

Cheers,
    MT :-)

• Interesting that of all the players at that time, he was chosen to be on the card. Does anyone know why this was? A question I suspect we may never know the answer to.

• Teddy is not listed as a Bucks County Cricketer but as a working man he probably would have been unable to get off work. You needed to be well heeled to play Minor Counties in those days. I was also surprised that he became club captain in 1952 when he could have been considered a veteran. I know where his daughter lives so may try to find out more.

• I seem to think there was a Wycombe Wanderers Cricket team around that time. I'm pretty sure my Grandfather played for them and I've seen some team photos I seem to think. Don't know if there's a connection? (maybe Teddy was included as he played for both?)

• Teddy Beeson made his first team debut on 22/10/1921, played his last game on 20/03/1926, and made at least 122 league and cup appearances in that period (some line-ups not known), as first choice left back. He scored 5 goals, all penalties and all in his last season.

• Thank you for that which completes the picture as far as his football with the Wanderers is concerned. My conversations with him over the years were always about cricket. He was a good spin bowler and hard hitting bat in his day.